Polytechnic — "many arts and skills"
A polytechnic is an innovative and entrepreneurial post-secondary institution, distinct from universities and colleges in that it offers a skill-focused approach to learning.
From apprenticeships to baccalaureate degrees, full-time to part-time, polytechnic institutions offer a range of credentials in diverse program areas focused on experience-oriented training. Multi-disciplined and industry responsive, polytechnic programs provide students with the required knowledge and skills for a rewarding career.
Leaders in applied research and innovation, polytechnics work closely with industry, regional and local organizations and community partners, providing access to leading-edge knowledge, skill and resources. Canada's polytechnics also offer diverse industry training products to corporations across the country and around the world.
SAIT is a member of Polytechnics Canada, a national alliance of leading research-intensive, publicly-funded colleges and institutes of technology dedicated to helping colleges and industry create high-quality jobs for the future.
The SAIT Strategic Plan 2006-2016 charts an ambitious course for the next decade under three directional priorities: Leader in Learning, Entrepreneurial Outlook and World-Class Service Culture.
- First publicly funded technical institute in Canada, established in 1916
- More than 2,600 faculty and staff providing training to 47,373 unique students
- Graduate employment rate of 95 per cent (2013)
- $3.9 million in scholarships and bursaries awarded annually
- Founding member of eCampusAlberta, a consortium of 16 schools delivering online courses and programs
- More than 207,000 alumni in 76 countries
- Created and fostering an environment committed to student success
- The number one research college in Canada (RE$EARCH Infosource Inc.)
- More than 65 program advisory committees
- More than 1,000 business and industry advisors
- SAIT generates $1.6 billion of economic activity
- Return on investment for students of 16 per cent
- Known for innovative applied research and development activities
- Corporate training delivered worldwide
- One of Canada's 10 Most Admired Corporate Cultures (Waterstone Human Capital)
- One of Alberta's Top 65 Employers in 2014, 2013, 2011 and 2010 (Mediacorp Canada Inc.)
- One of Alberta's Best Workplaces for Training and Development in 2013 (Alberta Venture)
- One of Alberta's 2010 Best Overall Workplaces (Alberta Venture)
Programs and courses (2014/15)
- 10,919 students in 90 certificate, diploma, and degree programs
- 6,926 apprentices in 34 apprenticeship programs
- 32,944 students in 1,489 continuing education and corporate training courses
- 47,373 unique students
- 13,899 full-load equivalent (FLE) students
- SAIT Polytechnic