What is polytechnic education?
Polytechnic — "many arts and skills."
A polytechnic is an innovative and entrepreneurial post-secondary institution, distinct from universities and colleges in that it offers a skill-focused approach to learning.
From apprenticeships to baccalaureate degrees, full-time to part-time study, polytechnic institutions offer a range of credentials in diverse program areas focused on experience-oriented training. Multidisciplinary and responsive to industry, polytechnic programs provide students with the required knowledge and skills for a rewarding career.
Leaders in applied research and innovation, polytechnics work closely with industry, regional and local organizations and community partners, providing access to leading-edge knowledge, skills and resources.
Canada's polytechnics also offer diverse industry training products to corporations across the country and around the world.
SAIT is a member of Polytechnics Canada, a national alliance of leading research-intensive, publicly-funded colleges and institutes of technology dedicated to propelling business innovation and creating jobs for tomorrow.
Quick facts and figures
- SAIT served 49,398 students in 2013/14
- Nearly 220,000 alumni in 76 countries
- More than 2,600 faculty and staff
- 15,765 full load equivalent students; a growth of 9% over 2012/13
- Offers 84 day-time programs and 37 apprenticeship programs
- Trained 33% of Alberta's apprentices and is the second largest provider of technical training in Alberta
- 2014 graduate employment rate of 94%
- $4 million in scholarships and bursaries awarded annually
- First polytechnic in Canada and third Canadian post-secondary to become a member of Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society, the largest honour society in North America
- Generous individuals, corporate partners and alumni contributed close to $15 million to SAIT programs, projects and students in 2014/15
- Over 750 transfer options with more than 67 post-secondary institutions in nine countries
- One of Alberta's Top Employers in 2015
- Recognized as a Top Research College in Canada
- 3,234 youth in SAIT Summer Camps in 2014
- Applied Research and Innovation Services at SAIT has developed 234 prototypes on behalf of its industry partners
SAIT Polytechnic 2015 - 2020 Strategic Plan
Think Big. Think Applied Education.
As SAIT approaches its second century of service, it will build upon what it has already achieved — a strong reputation in high-quality applied education that produces graduates who can build meaningful careers and opportunities.
In creating SAIT Polytechnic's 2015-2020 strategic plan, SAIT and its stakeholders recognized the opportunities and challenges ahead and focused on the next level of accomplishment.
This plan was crafted with input from all our major stakeholders, including our faculty and employees, students, alumni, donors as well as our partners in government, industry and community.
SAIT Polytechnic's vision is to be a global leader in applied education.
- SAIT Polytechnic