Polytechnic — "many arts and skills"
From apprenticeships to baccalaureate degrees, polytechnic institutions offer a range of credentials in diverse program areas. Focused on experience-oriented training that provides students with the skills they need to find high-quality jobs, polytechnics are also committed to working closely with industry and promoting applied research and innovation.
As one of Canada's leading polytechnics, SAIT Polytechnic provides relevant, skill-oriented education to more than 71,000 registrants each year. Approximately 1,000 business and industry partners help shape curriculum by serving on more than 65 advisory committees, and SAIT is known as a trailblazer in applied research and innovation. SAIT was the first publicly-funded institute of its kind in the country, and 96 years later, it is well on its way to becoming Canada's premier polytechnic.
The SAIT Strategic Plan 2006-2016 charts an ambitious course for the next decade under three directional priorities: Leader in Learning, Entrepreneurial Outlook and World-Class Service Culture.
- First publicly funded technical institute in Canada, established in 1916
- More than 2,300 faculty and staff providing training to more than 71,000 registrants annually
- Graduate employment rate of 94 per cent (2011)
- Average class size of 25 students
- $3.6 million in scholarships and bursaries awarded annually
- Founding member of eCampusAlberta, a consortium of 15 schools delivering online courses and programs
- More than 180,000 alumni in 65 countries
- Created and fostering an environment committed to student success.
- More than 65 program advisory committees
- More than 1,000 business and industry advisors
- SAIT generates $1.6 billion of economic activity
- Return on investment for students of 16 per cent
- Known for innovative applied research and development activities
- Corporate training delivered worldwide
- One of Alberta's Top 50 Employers in 2013, 2011 and 2010 (Mediacorp Canada Inc.)
- One of Alberta's 2010 Best Overall Workplaces (Alberta Venture)
Programs and courses (2010/11)
- 77 certificate, diploma and applied degree programs
- Two baccalaureate degree programs
- 30-plus apprenticeship programs
- 552 earned revenue credit courses
- 1,274 earned revenue non-credit courses
- 13,144 full-load equivalents (FLEs)
- 71,098 total registrants
- SAIT Polytechnic