Information on this page has been reviewed by a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC) or Regulated International Student Immigration Advisor (RISIA) in compliance with the Canadian Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. However, please be aware that this is not a legal document and information may sometimes change without notice. For the most current information, always refer to the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website.

Immigration documents 

International students need documents from SAIT to support their application for Canadian visas and permits. 

Letter of Acceptance 
  • Study permit application
Confirmation of Enrollment Letter 
  • Study permit extension
  • Visitor visa application
Letter of Completion 
  • Post-graduation work permit application

Travelling outside of Canada

International students should be informed and prepared before they leave Canada and re-enter. 

Before leaving Canada and upon returning, international students should have:

  • a valid passport
  • a valid study permit
  • a valid TRV or an eTA (if applicable)
  • proof of your student status (e.g., confirmation of enrolment from your mySAIT account)

When you make your travel plan, check your document expiry date and renew them if necessary before you travel.

We recommend not travelling while your immigration application is under processing. If you have to travel while waiting for your study permit extension or your post-graduation work permit, speak to an international student advisor.

When you return to Canada, you may enter as,

  • a student if your study permit is still valid.
  • a visitor if you have applied for a study permit extension and it is still in process. In this case, you can’t study until you get your extended study permit. The officer at the port of entry may also ask you to prove you have enough money to support yourself in Canada.
  • a worker if the IRCC approves your post-graduation work permit while you’re away, or, 
  • a visitor if the IRCC is still processing your post-graduation work permit. 

If you meet all the above requirements, but the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) officer believes there is reason to refuse your re-entry, you won’t be able to enter Canada. Only Canadian citizens are guaranteed entry to Canada.

Travelling to the United States

If you plan on visiting the United States, you may need a US Visitor Visa or other visit requirements. If you are in Canada and are applying for a US Visitor Visa, you will need to book an in-person appointment at the nearest US consulate.

Please note the international student advisors at SAIT do not provide advice on US immigration issues. All inquiries should be directed to the US Consulate General in Calgary. 

If you hold a valid temporary resident status, such as a study permit, and you have only visited the US after leaving Canada, you do not need a valid TRV (Temporary Resident Visa) to re-enter Canada.

Canadian/US border (Flagpole)

International students who are currently in Canada are discouraged from applying for their co-op work permit or post-graduation work permit by travelling to the US/Canada land border (commonly known as flagpole). If you find yourself in a special circumstance, please consult with an international student advisor to explore alternative options.

Contact us

International Centre

AA206, Heritage Hall, SAIT Main Campus


Monday - Friday | 8 am - 4:30 pm