The Universal Transit Pass or UPass program is a partnership initiative between Calgary Transit and participating post-secondary institutions in the city, including SAIT.
What’s a UPass?
With a UPass, you have unlimited access to Calgary Transit during the period it’s valid.
The UPass fee is charged per term and is included in tuition and fees for most full-time programs at SAIT. The UPass fee for the 2022/23 academic year is $160/term.
Your pass is not transferable to another individual.
When is my UPass valid?
A new UPass will be issued each term:
- Fall: valid Sept. 1 to Dec. 31
- Winter: valid Jan. 1 to April 30
- Spring/Summer: valid May 1 to Aug. 31
Am I eligible for a UPass?
To be eligible for a UPass, you must be:
- taking at least nine credits per term AND
- attending 15 consecutive weeks of classes within one term (fall, winter, spring/summer) AND
- your tuition must be paid in full or student loan funding must be confirmed.
If you’re eligible for a UPass, the fee is mandatory and charged per term as part of your tuition and fees for most full-time programs at SAIT. The charge will be seen on your student account through mySAIT once you register for classes.
The deadline to apply for a Winter exemption must be submitted by Friday, January 20, 2023.
How do I get my UPass?
You can access your UPass directly from your mobile device through Calgary Transit’s My Fare app. SAIT will automatically confirm your UPass eligibility with Calgary Transit.
My Fare app requirements
- Your mobile device must support either Google Play (Android) or App Store (iOS) downloads.
- You must use your SAIT email address (@edu.sait.ca) to sign up.
Download and activate your UPass through the My Fare app
- Download the free My Fare app from Google Play or the App Store.
- How to create an account in My Fare.
- Create your Calgary myID account:
- click on the menu in the top right corner of the app, select profile
- tap the New account tab, click Sign up using Calgary myID and create a Calgary myID account using your SAIT email address (@edu.sait.ca).
- You’ll receive a verification code to your SAIT email address (@edu.sait.ca). Enter the code in the app.
- Wait 48-72 hours for the UPass to appear in your My Fare Ticket Wallet. Only the UPass for your current term will show in your Ticket Wallet. Refer to the terms listed above.
- Reminder: You must be registered in classes, and have paid your tuition/fees or have confirmed student loan funding to access your UPass each term.
- Failure to create a MyFare/myID account after the first month of the semester, you will have to wait a week or longer for the Upass to appear on your MyFare app. If you haven’t created a MyFare/myID account by 8 weeks after the semester start, your Upass will not appear on your MyFare app.
Using the My Fare app
Before you board a bus or train, select your UPass from your My Fare Ticket Wallet and tap “Activate.” Once you have your SAIT eCard, carry it with you to verify your status as a student.
On the bus, tap your screen showing the activated pass and barcode against the onboard scanner or show it to the operator.
On the train, make sure you activate your UPass before you enter the fare paid zone. Have it ready to show a Transit Peace Officer if requested.
If you drop to part-time status before the add/drop deadline, you will no longer be eligible for the UPass. Your UPass will be deactivated in the My Fare app and show as expired, and the UPass fee will be refunded. If you withdraw from SAIT at the withdrawal deadline, you'll continue to have access to the UPass for the remainder of the term.
My Fare app FAQ
Yes. You need to activate your UPass each time you use transit.
Yes. A UPass is valid for one term at a time, based on your registration status. Each term, your UPass eligibility will be verified and the UPass will once again be ready to activate.
You must be able to access and display your valid UPass throughout your trip. If your phone isn’t working, you need to use another payment method for your trip.
You can transfer any valid UPass to a new device. You'll need to download the My Fare app and log in to your myID account from your new device. Once you transfer your pass, the pass on your other device will become invalid. My Fare allows three device switches over a six-month period.
You can edit your profile once you’re logged in to Calgary myID. Go to Account, Edit Profile, then update the address.
You can create multiple Calgary myID and My Fare accounts and switch between profiles through the Account Settings menu on the app. Make sure you log out of My Fare and close the app before you try to log in with a different account.
The My Fare app is only compatible with Android or iOS devices. If you're unable to download your UPass through the My Fare app or you don't have a device, contact the Card Office at email@example.com.