You may be eligible to apply for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP) if you have graduated from a SAIT degree, diploma or certificate program that is a minimum of eight months in length.

This work permit is an open work permit allowing you to work for any employer.

An application must be submitted within 90 days of completing your program, and you must have a valid study permit when you apply.

You will also need to submit proof of your graduation with the application. You can request a letter from the International Centre to confirm this.

Visit the IRCC website for further information about a post-graduation work permit.

IRCC International Student Cap

Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada's latest policy announced in January 2024 may impact current and prospective international students at SAIT in relation to obtaining your study permit, open work permit or post-graduate work permit (PGWP.)

Learn more about the changes and impact

PGWP eligibility 

The length of your PGWP is dependent on the duration of your completed program. 

Program length in relation to PGWP eligibility.
Program length PGWP eligibility
Shorter than eight months  Not eligible 
Eight months to less than two years Eligible for a work permit for the same duration as your program.
Two or more years Eligible for a three-year work permit

You'll also need to meet the following criteria:

  • You have maintained full-time status as a student in Canada during each semester of your program (except your scheduled break and final semester, which can be part-time or if you took an authorized leave from studies.)
  • You have a valid study permit (or a study permit that was valid at some point in the last 180 days since you completed your program.)*

❗️Your PGWP validity date can never extend past the date of your passport validity. Make sure your passport is valid for the entire length of time you should be eligible.

As a student, it is your responsibility to understand and meet the full eligibility requirements.

*As many students attended their program online from outside of Canada due to COVID-19, eligible students can apply for a PGWP from outside Canada as long as they’ve been approved for a study permit. For more information on outside-Canada graduates, please see the IRCC eligibility.

When can I apply for my PGWP? 

You must apply within 180 days of SAIT issuing your final marks.

❗️We recommend you apply for your PGWP once you receive your Letter of Completion from SAIT. This way you will be applying while your study permit is still valid.

Your study permit will be valid until its expiration date or 90 days after you receive your letter of completion, whichever comes earlier.

If you apply for your PGWP while on a valid study permit, you might also be eligible to start work immediately.

However, if you plan to apply after your study permit expires, you need to either:

  • change your status to a visitor before your study permit expires or
  • leave the country and apply from outside of Canada or
  • apply for restoration and your PGWP at the same time.

❗️You can only receive a PGWP once in your life. If you intend to continue your studies, you might want to wait to apply for your work permit.

How to apply for your PGWP

You will complete the Application to Change Conditions, Extend my Stay or Remain in Canada as a Worker application form.

The application can be submitted online and costs $255, including a processing fee of $155 and an open work permit holder fee of $100 CAD.

If you are submitting your PGWP application from outside Canada, please contact the International Centre for guidance.

Step 1: Log into your IRCC GCKey account

You can use your existing IRCC account to apply for a study permit extension.

If you do not have an account, or if you do not have access to your previous account, you can create a new account.

How to create your IRCC GCKey account

Step 2: Create your own document checklist

Watch our guide to creating your list of required documents to apply for your PGWP.

Step 3: Prepare your documents and complete forms

Download and complete the IMM5709e application form

Ensure you download the latest form directly from the IRCC website for your application.

Download application form

Do not print and sign the form. You can type your name in the signature and dates on the form. Once you enter your information, select "Validate" and the form will generate an additional page with many bar codes if it's validated successfully.

If you want to make changes to the form, remember to validate it and save the form after every edit.

Guide to completing your PGWP application form

Collect your documents

If your documents are not in English or French, they should be accompanied by an official translation in English or French or a certified copy of the original document in English or French with an affidavit.

You must submit a Letter of Completion and your transcript.

Because your credential (diploma, certificate, etc.) will be awarded on the appropriate conferral date, please review the below details to receive your Letter of Completion:

  1. Apply to graduate through mySAIT during the appropriate timeline.
  2. Review your unofficial transcripts to ensure your final grades have been entered.
  3. Once all final grades are entered, the Office of the Registrar will run a graduate audit. This process can take up to two weeks to complete before a letter of completion can be generated.*
  4. A Letter of Completion will be automatically created for you if you are eligible to receive one. You do not need to request it.
  5. The Letter of Completion will be uploaded to the MyCreds™️ platform, and you’ll receive an email when it is ready to view and share. Check that you have an active email on your student profile.

You also need to request a copy of your official transcript through mySAIT.

*We are unable to generate a Post-Graduation Work Permit letter of completion until the Office of the Registrar completes the graduate audit detailed above. If your study permit expires soon, please contact the International Centre.

If you took a leave of absence during your studies, ensure you also request a confirmation letter from the International Centre for your PGWP application.

Request a Confirmation of Enrolment letter

You will need to scan and upload a copy of your passport on the bio-data page (the page with your photo and all other personal information), and any other pages with stamps, visas, or markings from any county.

If you have a new passport, you need to provide copies of both your new and old passports.

Your passport photo should be less than six months old and meet the IRCC photo specifications.

Depending on your nationality, the Family Information form might be required. You should only provide it if it’s included in your document checklist.

This form needs to be printed out and signed by hand. Please note you might need to sign multiple places on this form.

  • If you indicate that you don’t have a spouse or common-law partner, sign and date Section A.
  • If you indicate that you don’t have children, sign and date Section B.
  • Finally, sign and date Section C.

IRCC might make a minor adjustment to application forms without notice. Please check for instructions for each form and make sure the form is thoroughly completed.

The Schedule 1: Application for Temporary Residency form is usually included in the “Optional Documents” section of your checklist, and most students do not need to include it in the application.

If you do require it, this form doesn’t need to be signed, but it does need to be validated.

Step 4: Get your biometrics and medical exam (if applicable)

If you have provided biometrics in a previous application, you don’t need to provide them again. Your biometrics will be valid for 10 years. You can use the online tool to find out if your biometrics are still valid.

Biometrics (fingerprints and a photo) are collected to confirm your identity and will facilitate your entry to Canada. While exemptions can be granted, most study permit applicants will be required to provide biometrics.

Once you have paid your biometrics collection fee ($85 CAD) and submitted your online application, you will receive a biometric instruction letter in your account. Then, you can go to the nearest biometrics collection center with the letter.

You may be required to complete an immigration medical exam if:

  1. you have lived in a designated country or territory for more than six months in the past year, or,
  2. you will participate in a workplacement, co-op or practicum that will bring you close to patients, children, the elderly, etc. This includes public health, health sciences, or agriculture-related fields (for example, healthcare workers, and primary and secondary school teachers.) Please refer to your program page for specific practicum information.

If you need a medical exam, you can choose either:

  • submit your application first, and wait for the medical exam instruction letter from IRCC, or,
  • do an upfront medical exam first and include the exam confirmation receipt in your application.

In general, it can save some processing time when you provide an upfront medical exam.

Your medical exam result will be valid for 12 months from the date of the exam and should be valid at the time when you travel. The exam is taken during the initial study permit application period; therefore, if you have been studying outside Canada since recieving your study permit approval, you will need to make sure your results are still valid when traveling to Canada.

You may need a new IME result if you are a continuing student who has left Canada for six months or more in the past year.

Find a panel physician that can conduct your medical exam.

After you apply

Please expect three to four months for your PGWP application to be processed. You will receive emails from your IRCC GCKey account informing you of any updates on your application.

Once it has been approved, it usually takes between two to six weeks for you to receive the actual document by mail – the Post-Graduation Work Permit will be sent to the mailing address provided.

Frequently asked questions 

It depends. Refer to the IRCC Help Centre for more information before you travel.

No. Once you receive your PGWP you can then apply for a new TRV.

Before you receive written notice of program completion

If you were eligible to work part-time (up to 20 hours per week) during your final semester, you can continue working part-time until you receive notice of program completion (letter from SAIT.)

Once you receive the notice of completion

You must STOP working until you submit the PGWP application.

After you submit the PGWP application, you can start working full-time if you:

  • were eligible to work part-time during your academic semester and didn’t work off-campus more than 20 hours during academic semesters
  • have a valid study permit at the time of applying for your PGWP.

If your PGWP is refused, you must stop working immediately.

You can now order your unofficial transcript through your MySAIT account.

Please check the Quick Reference Guide for easy steps to follow.

You MUST have a valid temporary status as a student or a visitor in order to apply for a PGWP.

If your study permit expires around your program completion time, you should consider applying for your study permit extension early so that you still hold a valid status to bridge your graduation period.

If you have not applied to extend it before it expires, you must stop studying and working and apply for a restoration of status.

Contact us

International Centre

AA206, Heritage Hall, SAIT Main Campus


Monday - Friday | 8 am - 4:30 pm

a view of the moutains and stream in between

Oki, Âba wathtech, Danit'ada, Tawnshi, Hello.

SAIT is located on the traditional territories of the Niitsitapi (Blackfoot) and the people of Treaty 7 which includes the Siksika, the Piikani, the Kainai, the Tsuut’ina and the Îyârhe Nakoda of Bearspaw, Chiniki and Goodstoney.

We are situated in an area the Blackfoot tribes traditionally called Moh’kinsstis, where the Bow River meets the Elbow River. We now call it the city of Calgary, which is also home to the Métis Nation of Alberta, Region 3.