Apply to Graduate
Once you complete your program requirements, it’s time to graduate and register for convocation.
You must apply to graduate to complete your program and receive your credential. When you’re in your last term and expect to complete your program requirements, submit your application. You must meet the program requirements in effect at the time of your admission.
If you don’t apply to graduate by the deadline for the conferral of the credential period, you’ll need to apply for the next conferral period. You can apply before you have received your final grades.
|Program requirements complete||Apply to graduate||Conferral of credential||Convocation ceremony*|
|Sept. 1 - Dec. 31||Sept. 1 - Dec. 31||Feb. 24, 2023**||June 13 – 15, 2023|
|Jan. 1 - April 30||Jan. 4 - March 31||June 13 – 15, 2023||June 13 – 15, 2023|
|May 1 - Aug. 31||April 1 - Aug. 31||Nov. 7, 2023||Nov. 7, 2023|
**There is no convocation ceremony connected with the Winter Conferral. As an eligible student, you will be invited to attend the Spring ceremony.
**Conferral and convocation dates for Spring differ depending on the program. Find your grad date when you apply to graduate.
SAIT has two Convocation ceremonies every year. When you apply to graduate, you’ll be asked if you plan to attend the appropriate ceremony. If you choose yes, you’ll be assessed a $105 convocation fee.
This fee allows us to put on an in-person ceremony and covers your associated costs, including the following:
- gown rental
- hat and tassel — you get to keep this as a souvenir!
- tickets for your guests
- professional photo of you walking the stage.
If you apply to graduate and tell us you plan to attend Convocation, we’ll send an email with full details closer to your ceremony date.
You must complete your program requirements within the following timelines to graduate:
- five academic years for a certificate, graduate certificate, or post-diploma certificate
- seven academic years for a diploma or applied degree
- ten academic years for a bachelor’s degree.
You must meet the minimum residency requirement by completing at least 50% of the credits required for your program at SAIT.
Students must have a minimum GPA of 2.0. Find information on grades and how your GPA is calculated.
You'll graduate with honours standing if you achieve a graduation GPA of 3.8 or higher, plus additional criteria as listed in AC.3.1.1 Grading and Progression: Section E. Honours Designation.
Not sure if you're eligible to graduate?
Check your eligibility using the degree evaluator on mySAIT.
- Log in to mySAIT and click on the myStudent tab.
- Select student profile.
- Select degree evaluation.
- Select generate new evaluation.
- Select your program from the curriculum drop-down.
- Choose the term you expect to be complete.
Refer to the Credentials Policy and Procedure (AC.2.17.1) for additional information.
How to apply to graduate
- Log in to mySAIT and choose the MyStudent tab.
- Select Apply to Graduate under Academic Records and Schedules.
- Choose the term you expect to complete your program.
- Select your program. If the program you expect to graduate from is not listed, contact the Office of the Registrar.
- Choose the graduation date from the drop-down menu.
- Tell us if you’ll be attending your convocation ceremony. If you choose yes, we’ll contact you about six weeks before the ceremony with instructions on how to order your gown and pay the convocation fee. If you’re not attending a ceremony, we’ll mail your credential afterward.
- Credentials are printed with your full legal name as listed in your student record. Confirm your name is spelled correctly. Contact the Office of the Registrar if a change is needed.
- Confirm your address is listed correctly. If a change is needed, update your address on the mySAIT > Personal Information tab. We will hold returned credentials for six months and attempt to re-deliver if your address changes.
- Confirm the details are correct and submit your request.
Name change and change of address deadline:
- Fall — August 31
- Winter — December 31
- Spring — April 30
Can I apply for graduation anytime?
No, you should apply in your final semester before the deadline to apply to graduate.
For example, if you’re writing your final exams from April 20 to 24, you’ll complete your program between January 1 and April 30, so you’ll need to apply between January 4 and March 31.
If I want to upgrade some courses to improve my graduation GPA but have finished my program, can I wait to apply to graduate?
Yes, but you should contact your academic advisor to ensure the courses you want to upgrade are available, and you’ll meet the timelines to complete your credential.
What if I’m not sure about my eligibility to graduate?
The degree evaluator on mySAIT is an excellent way to check, but if you still have questions, check in with your advisor or academic chair.
What if I can’t see my program in the application?
Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you need assistance. This might happen if you’re graduating from a diploma program, but your student record has already been changed to your degree program.
What if my name is incorrect on the application?
Can I have my preferred name on my credential?
No, this is a legal document and must have your full legal name on it.
When will my application to graduate be evaluated?
The Office of the Registrar evaluates grad applications bi-weekly during and at the end of the semester once final grades have been entered.
How can I determine the status of my grad application?Check your unofficial transcripts in your mySAIT account for the status of your application:
- Sought – your application to graduate is under review.
- Complete awaiting conferral – you have met the graduation requirements for your program, and your application has been approved for graduation. Your credential will be awarded on the conferral date in your application to graduate.
- Not qualified – your application to graduate has not been approved. Please contact your school to determine what steps you need to take to complete your program and qualify to graduate.
- Awarded – your credential has been conferred and awarded, and you are now officially a SAIT graduate. Congratulations!
When will my transcripts be updated to show my grad date?
Your credential will be awarded on the graduation date that you applied for.
Please check your unofficial transcripts before ordering official transcripts to ensure that your records have been updated with the grad date.
What if I submit my application in my last semester but don’t complete a required course?
The Office of the Registrar will evaluate your application after final grades have been entered. If the program requirements are not met, you’ll be notified. You can apply again in the semester you complete the requirements.
What if I said “yes” to attending the convocation ceremony?
After the deadline, the Office of the Registrar will email you about six weeks before the ceremony with your next steps, including paying the convocation fee — watch your inbox.
What if I said “no” to attending the convocation ceremony, but now I’d like to attend?
Contact the Office of the Registrar to see if this can be accommodated.
I said I was attending the convocation ceremony but didn’t make it — what happened to my credential?
The Office of the Registrar will mail it to the address you provided on the application to graduate.
What if I applied before the deadline but didn’t get my credential?
Contact the Office of the Registrar to investigate and advise your next steps.
What if my parchment is damaged, lost or destroyed?
You can request a replacement if your parchment is damaged, lost or destroyed. Complete the credential request form, and we will contact you to pay the required fee if one is applicable.