Co-Op Work Permit and Off-Campus Work Authorization

From November 15, 2022, to December 31, 2023, you may not need to apply for a co-op work permit. You don’t need a co-op work permit to complete your co-op placement if you meet all of the following conditions:

  • You have a valid study permit and we received your application for this study permit on or before October 7, 2022.
  • Your study permit shows that you’re authorized to work off campus.
  • You’re eligible to benefit from the temporary policy change to work more than 20 hours per week while class is in session.
  • Your co-op placement ends by December 31, 2023.
If your co-op placement ends after December 31, 2023, or if you aren’t eligible for the temporary policy change, you need to apply for a co-op work permit to cover the period after that date. You can begin your co-op placement during this period before you’re issued the permit. Any other employment you have won’t be affected.

The co-op work permit allows you to work full-time during academic semesters, but only authorizes you to work for the specific internship hours approved by SAIT and will grant you your program credits.

A study permit allowing off-campus work does not allow you to work full-time during your academic semester. A co-op work permit is not valid for any other off-campus work.

You are responsible for tracking your hours and should stop using your co-op work permit once you reach the hours required by your program, even if your co-op work permit is still valid. If you decide to continue for the same employer after completing the required hours, you might work under your study permit working authorization (maximum 20 hours per week during academic semesters) if you meet the eligibility.

International students are considered enrolled full-time at SAIT during their co-op term. In addition to co-op work hours, you may simultaneously work for another off-campus job for a maximum of 20 hours under your study permit in your co-op term.

Visit the IRCC website for further information about a co-op work permit.

When should I apply? 

If your Letter of Acceptance has such working requirements mentioned in box 24, you may apply for your co-op work permit with your initial study permit application. You can also apply for your co-op work permit once you arrive in Canada at least 3-4 months before your co-op term starts.

How do I apply? 

In order to apply, you must first obtain a letter from the International Centre to confirm you are eligible for a co-op work permit.

If you are a current student with a study permit, the application can be submitted online. This is a free application.

You will be submitting the Application to Change Conditions, Extend My Stay or Remain in Canada as a Worker (IMM 5710) application form and your co-op letter from SAIT.