Get your finances into shape
Invest some time in mastering your money with these quick tips from SAIT's Financial Advising team.
As a student, you might not be able to live the lifestyle of your dreams right now, and that includes being realistic about gifting. But that's okay, your education will get you where you want to be faster.
Avoid credit you can't afford
If you use a credit card, pay it off in full every month — if you don't, you're probably paying at least 50% more for everything you buy because of interest.
Create a budget for holiday expenses
- Money in: Record income from all sources.
- Money out: List and track expenses, including gifts and seasonal entertainment.
- Evaluate: Do you need more income/fewer expenses?
- Repeat: Follow this process beyond the holiday season with a monthly budget.
💲 Start your budget with this budget building tool from CheckFirst.ca.
Keep money in your wallet
- Wait to buy things when they're on sale.
- Create a meal plan for the week.
- Look for student discounts.
Get help sooner rather than later
If you have questions about your finances or if you're struggling with money, you're not the first and you're not alone. Financial Advising is here to help — talk to an advisor.
Skills for the Future
We prepare students for successful careers and lives.