Why Choose SAIT for Apprenticeship Training
Whether you're at SAIT for pre-apprenticeship training or are immersed in the apprenticeship system, SAIT is renowned for providing high calibre trades education in more than 30 different trades. Classes combine formal classroom instruction with hands-on technical training in our state-of-the-art shops. The SAIT experience will train you to be ready for success by graduation, as you become a qualified journeyperson in your trade.
Our apprentice students experience success largely due to:
- Our industry relationships, allowing opportunities in our pre-apprenticeship programs for job-shadowing, internships, and mentoring programs.
- Class sizes in our apprenticeship and full-time programs vary between 24-30 students in theory classrooms. During the time in our shops, students usually see a 1:13 (two instructors for every 11-15 students). This environment allows you increased time with your instructors to learn valuable knowledge.
- SAIT encourages opportunities for students to participate in competitions like Skills Alberta (trade and technology) and Culinary challenges around the world.
- Our student-first mentality means that mentoring, student support and resources are readily available.
Blended learning options
SAIT's blended learning programs allow apprentices to do the theory portion of their training online - using videos, simulations and electronic assessments - before coming to campus for hands-on training in our state-of-the-art labs and shops.
Those who choose blended learning spend about half the time at SAIT than full-time apprenticeship students.
Find out more details on Blended Apprenticeship Learning.
The apprenticeship facilities are comprised of three state-of-the-art campuses that include the tools and equipment you need to put your skills into practice.
- SAIT has computer resources and study areas with whiteboards that will allow you to effectively study for your Trade Qualification Exams.
- The design of our buildings emphasizes an innovative, flexible and integrated approach to trades and technical training, intended to reflect real workplaces.
- We have up-to-date equipment that we maintain to industry standards.
- Our facilities are LEED-accredited.
Our three facilities are:
- Main Campus - John Ware and the Trade Technology Complex
- Mayland Heights
- Crane and Ironworker Facility
Our instructors are qualified journeypersons within their accredited industries and offer expert advice fit for both classrooms and on the job site. They offer real-world expertise, the integration of theory and practice, knowledge of job site expectations and a passion for educating.
SAIT is here to support you throughout your entire apprenticeship journey. Read over the Apprentice Success Services to ensure you are set for success as you prepare to begin your program. Read over the accessibility, academic coaching, success seminars, and tutoring services available for apprenticeship support.
Learn about financial aid options from loans, grants, scholarships and more at Paying for your Apprenticeship.
- Choose a Trade
- Apprenticeship and Pre-Employment Programs
- How to Become an Apprentice
- Why Choose SAIT for Apprenticeship Training
- How to Register
- Next Steps for Apprentices
- Paying for your Apprenticeship
- Apprenticeship Success Services
- Contact Alberta Apprenticeship and Industry Training
- Blue Seal Certificate
- Gold Seal Certificate