This 12-week pre-employment program comprises the first period of the corresponding apprentice program that SAIT currently offers in this trade. The program trains individuals to lay out, assemble, fabricate, maintain and repair piping systems which carry water, steam, chemicals or fuel used in heating, cooling, lubricating and other processes. Steamfitter- Pipefitter is a pipe trade that deals with the installation, maintenance and repair of piping systems, but differs from other pipe trades in relation to where the work is performed, the types of piping that are involved and the training that is required. To install a typical piping system in a commercial building or industrial plant, a Steamfitter- Pipefitter will study blueprints, drawings and specifications to determine the type of pipe and tools to use, and lay out the sequence of tasks. Heavy lifting may be required.
Credentials and Accreditation
Upon successful completion of the program, students will receive a SAIT Certificate and may be eligible to challenge the written and practical exams for the first-year Apprenticeship.
The opportunity to advance your education through transfer to, within or from SAIT is available with the following universities and colleges:
- Rocky Mountain College
To learn more, visit Transfer Options.
- Winter 2020 start: applications are accepted May 1, 2019 and are accepted until the program start date.
- Fall 2020 start: applications are accepted Oct. 2, 2019 and are accepted until the program start date.
- Winter 2021 start: applications are accepted March 30, 2020 and are accepted until the program start date.
Successful completion of the following courses or equivalents:
- Math 20-1, Math 20-2, Math 20-3, Pure Math 20, or Applied Math 20, AND,
- English Language Arts 20-1 or English Language Arts 20-2, AND
- Science 10
- All applicants must demonstrate English Language Proficiency prior to admission, including students educated in Canada.
- A pass mark in the SAIT Admission Examination (level 4) is accepted in lieu of the above requirements.
Note: General Educational Development (GED) tests are not accepted in lieu of the admission requirements.
SAIT evaluates international documents for admissions. After you've applied, consider our international document assessment service if your education is from outside of Canada.
Direct Entry: Four Step Process
Step 1: Read the program information to see the qualities needed for student success.
Step 2: Ensure that you meet all of the admission requirements listed above.
Step 3: Apply to Pre-Employment Pipetrades and submit your transcripts and/or anticipated final grades.
- Admission will be extended on a first-qualified, first-offered basis until the program is full.
Step 4: Find out how to monitor your application status after you apply.
View additional Pre-Employment Pipetrades program information including course-specific descriptions and requisites.
|Course Code||Course Name||Credits|
|APPH 202||Calculations and Science||1.5|
|BLPR 232||Drawings and Specifications||1.5|
|EMTL 214||Equipment and Materials||3.0|
|PIPE 215||Pipe Shop||3.0|
|SFTY 202||Safety and Rigging||1.5|
|WFAB 201||Metal Fabrication||1.5|
This program is eligible for Canada-Alberta Job Grant funding.
Tuition and fees per year*
2019/20 Domestic Tuition and Fees*
|Tuition Fees||SAIT Fees||Student Association Fees||2019/20 Total|
2019/20 International Tuition and Fees*
|Tuition fees||SAIT fees||SAITSA fees||2019/20 Total|
2020/21 Domestic Tuition and Fees*
|Year||Tuition fees||SAIT fees||Saitsa fees||Health & Dental Plan||2020/21 total|
*as approved by SAIT's Board of Governors
2020/21 International Tuition and Fees*
As of January 2020 this program is no longer accepting International Students.
Health Plan: N/A
Dental Plan: N/A
Student Association: N/A
Campus athletic and recreation Fee: $86
Universal transit pass (UPass): N/A
Student support fee: $50
Student technology fee: $50
Books and supplies*
- Books are approximately $600 in addition to tuition fees.
- Membership to the SAIT Wellness Centre — including an ice arena, swimming/diving pool, gymnasium, squash and racquetball courts and weight room — is available at a discounted rate.
Find out about tuition and financial aid.
* Tuition, fees, books and supply costs are subject to change.
School of Construction