The Environmental Technologies (ET) research team leads applied research in clean technology development associated with energy and the environment. The ET research team develops strategies and solutions such as the reduction of industry impacts to air, soil and water.Learn more
Green Building Technologies
ARIS has brought SAIT and GBT researchers together with industry partners to identify and develop environmentally friendly technologies, processes, programs, systems and services that will fundamentally change the way we build, educate and develop skilled labour.Learn more
Innovation space for partners
KICS Innovation Centre at SAIT
Where lab space and guidance combine to advance clean energy technology startups and researchers to design, prototype and test their proprietary technologies.
The Kinetica Innovation Centre at SAIT (KICS) is a facility that helps Alberta innovators and researchers design, prototype and test their proprietary technologies.
The impressive 2,200 square foot facility located on SAIT's campus with easy access to the LRT is designed to accelerate prototyping efforts by offering co-working wet and dry lab space, access to an array of SAIT testing and fabrication facilities and entrepreneur and company development services through the Calgary Regional Innovation Network.
KICS helps energy innovators move their ideas from testing and experimentation to prototype development and companies from startups to going concerns.
Program and facility highlights
A program that helps clients move from idea to prototype, the KICS program includes access to:
The Accelerated Prototype program
- Provides clients with a focused framework to develop their prototype. Clients will receive support to develop and execute a detailed project plan that outlines budgets, milestones, testing and other critical items.
Co-working wet/dry bench space
- Offers inventors and researchers affordable access to a secure lab environment with access to fume hoods, meeting rooms and a lunchroom
World-class research facilities, equipment and talent
- Our ARIS department offers fee-based services for any testing, fabrication or experimentation required during prototype development. Access to ARIS's specialized labs and equipment is complemented by collaboration with students and research staff.
- Fee-for-service access to specialized services and entrepreneurial development programs for members looking to develop a product and build a company. Services include:
- Intellectual property protection and development assistance
- Grant sourcing and development
- Industry technology championship
- Technology incubation mentorship and accelerator services
The KICS lab offers co-working space for up to eight researchers or innovators. Space includes access to:
- Three fume hoods/chemical workbenches
- Mechanical/electrical workbenches
- Bench ventilation and vacuum systems
- Sinks, compressed air, natural gas
- Common lunchroom
- Meeting rooms
- Fee-for-service testing and fabrication facilities
Technology Demonstration Hall
The Technology Demonstration Hall (Tech Hall) was built in 2012 and is housed within the 440,000 square foot Aldred Centre.
Bring your project to life
As part of SAIT's Applied Research and Innovation Services facility inventory, the Tech Hall is an applied research asset accessible to staff, faculty, researchers and students on campus in any discipline. The facility is often used for collaboration with presentations made to business and industry partners.
The Tech Hall provides a high-tech audio-visual experience made possible by state-of-the-art sound and display equipment:
- large-size video wall
- multi-camera video-conferencing capabilities
- microphone and speaker assisted audio
- lighting designed for optimum video quality
A digitized podium serves as a control panel and can be linked to a presenter's laptop. A mobile, lighting-equipped video camera and tripod are also available for two-way audio-visual streaming from remote locations.
Industry Innovation Labs
The Industry Innovation Labs were built in 2012 and are housed within the Aldred Centre utilizing 440,000 square feet. These labs are available to industry partners who do not have their own dedicated applied research space.
The labs allow companies to cost-effectively develop, fabricate and test new technologies prior to commercialization. Space can be fit to meet your specific needs throughout the duration of your applied research projects.
Industry partners interested in using this space typically provide their own equipment and resources, although we will work with you to customize the space, plan and build the set-up you need.