Employers can get up to two-thirds of the costs reimbursed to a maximum of $10,000 per trainee per fiscal year. If hiring and training an unemployed Albertan, up to 100% of training costs could be reimbursed, up to $15,000 per trainee.
Eligible training costs include:
- Tuition fees
- Mandatory student fees
- Textbooks and software
- Examination fees
- Other required materials
- Approved travel costs
Eligibility and application requirements
There are eligibility requirements for Employer, Employee and Training that must be met to be considered for funding. Read the most current Canada-Alberta Job Grant Applicant Guide before applying to the CAJG program. If you have specific eligibility and application questions, contact CAJG administrators directly at email email@example.com or phone 1.855.638.9424.
Applying is a two-step process which requires the employer to:
- fill out and submit a CAJG application through the CAJG online portal; and
- submit a Training Completion form to receive payment after training has ended.
Applications must be received before training and at least 30 days before the start date of the training. It is important to wait for CAJG approval before registering and paying for a course(s). The employer bears all financial risks if their application is declined, rejected or partially funded.
Eligible employers must be located and operational in Alberta and include:
- private businesses,
- non-profit organizations,
- First Nations & Métis Settlements,
- Agricultural Financial Services Corporation
- ATB Financial
Employers must have a current or new position available in Alberta for the trainee at the end of training and must intend to hire or continue employing trainees upon completion of the training.
Eligible trainees must be living in Alberta and include:
- employed trainees,
- unemployed trainees,
- employed family members
- business members with four or fewer employees, including all owners.
Trainees must be Canadian citizens, permanent residents or persons protected under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (Canada), who are legally allowed to work in Canada.
The CAJG is not a bursary program and is not intended to fund Bachelor degree or Diploma programs. Training must be relevant to the current operational needs of the business and the available job, and includes one of the following: Training to improve the performance of existing or new employees in current or new roles; Pre-apprenticeship/pre-employment training; or high school completion courses.
For training to be eligible for CAJG funding, it must:
- meet or exceed 21 trainer instructional hours* and be delivered by an eligible training provider (like SAIT);
- start within six months of the application approval date;
- be completed within 52 weeks from the start date of the first training course on the application;
- result in some form of credential, such as record of completion, certificate, grade, mark or industry-recognized credential; and
- have interaction with an instructor
*The minimum 21 total instructional hours can be for one course or for multiple courses that in combination add to up to the minimum. For example: a 10-hour course plus a second 12-hour course taken within the required 52-week period would be acceptable. Note: A lunch hour included in a course cannot be claimed as an instructional hour.
The training format can be delivered online (asynchronous or synchronous), onsite or in a classroom and may be undertaken on either a part-time or full-time basis. Self-directed asynchronous learning must include instructor interaction.
SAIT instructors delivering CAJG-eligible training meet the qualification requirements identified in the CAJG Applicant Guide. If you require specific instructor information for your CAJG funding application, contact a SAIT advisor relevant to your selected course/programming area. Note that SAIT reserves the right to limit registration, cancel, postpone or combine courses, alter course content, dates or times, and substitute instructors.
Review training eligibility requirements in the most current Canada-Alberta Job Grant Applicant Guide.
Eligible programs and courses
SAIT offers an extensive selection of in-demand training courses and programs eligible for the Canada Alberta Job Grant (CAJG). Explore our offerings and contact an advisor in one of the programming areas listed below to get more detailed program information or course outlines to support the completion of your CAJG funding application.
Once you have identified SAIT courses/programs of interest and have all course/training details compiled, we recommend that you and your employer reconfirm directly with a CAJG representative the eligibility of your selection at email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 1.855.638.9424.
If you cannot find the information you’re looking for in any of the training programs listed below, contact the Academic Chair for the program (email and phone number included on the “Next Steps” tab of the program page).
- Pre-employment Cabinetmaker (12 weeks)
- Pre-employment Carpenter (12 weeks)
- Pre-employment Pipetrades (12 weeks)
- Pre-employment Refrigeration and Air Conditioning (12 weeks)
If you cannot find the information you’re looking for in any of the programs listed below, contact an advisor directly at the specific school.
Advanced Digital Technology
- Business Intelligence: Data Analysis and Reporting (24 weeks)
- Cyber Security Analyst (12 months)
- Cyber Security for Control Systems (5 months)
- Data Analytics (4 months or 1 year)
- Database Administrator (40 weeks)
- Information Security Analyst (5 months)
- Network Systems Specialist (32 weeks)
- Object Oriented Software Development (32 weeks)
- Web Developer (23 weeks)
Contact the advisor at email@example.com or 403.284.8543.
- Accounting (1 year)
- Business and Entrepreneurship (1 year)
- Community Economic Development (1 year)
- Information and Records Management (1 year)
- Management and Leadership (1 year)
- Marketing (1 year)
- Office Professional (1 year)
Contact the advisor at firstname.lastname@example.org or 403.284.8485.
- Land Analyst (1 year)
- Petroleum Land Administration (1 year)
- Power and Process Operations (1 year)
- Water and Wastewater Treatment Operations (1 year)
Contact the advisor at email@example.com or 403.284.8451.
Health & Public Safety
- Dental Assisting (1 year)
- Healthcare Leadership (1 year)
- Medical Device Reprocessing Technician (21 weeks)
- Medical Laboratory Assistant (21 weeks)
- Medical Office Assistant and Unit Clerk (5 months)
- Ophthalmic and Optometric Assisting (1 year)
- Pharmacy Assistant (5 months)
- Primary Care Paramedic (10 months)
Contact the advisor at firstname.lastname@example.org or 403.284.8500.
Manufacturing & Automation
Contact the advisor at email@example.com or 403.284.8641.
- Aircraft Structures Technician (1 year)
- Professional Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems (15 weeks)
- Railway Conductor (12 weeks)
Contact the advisor at firstname.lastname@example.org or 403.284.8471.