Graduates can pursue job opportunities as a(n):
- RPAS pilot performing visual inspections
- beyond visual line of sight RPAS operations
- mission planner
- pilot performing survey and mapping flights
Related careers include:
- geographic information systems technologist
- non-destructive inspection technician
Admission and selection
Applications are accepted until the program start date but are subject to change.
- Fall 2022 start: applications are open on Oct. 6, 2021.
At least 50% in the following courses or their equivalents:
- English Language Arts 30-1 or English Language Arts 30-2
- Math 30-1 or Math 30-2 or Pure Math 30 or Applied Math 30,
- One grade 12 science course
- All applicants must demonstrate English language proficiency prior to admission, including students educated in Canada.
SAIT evaluates international documents for admissions. After you've applied, consider our international document assessment service if your education is from outside of Canada.
Direct Entry: four-step process
Step 1: Read the program information to see the qualities needed for student success.
Step 2: Ensure that you meet all of the admission requirements listed above.
- Admission will be extended on a first-qualified, first-offered basis until the program is full.
Failure to meet anticipated final grades will result in offers being rescinded.
Communication during selection
Email is the primary source of communication during the selection process. Ensure your personal email account is managed appropriately to receive our emails, files and communications.
We receive a significant number of applications for this program so the selection process can take some time. Every effort will be made to maintain the timeline above. We appreciate your patience.
|Course code||Course name||Credit|
|AERO-200||Advanced Mapping for RPAS||1.5|
|AERO-201||Basic Mapping for RPAS||1.5|
|AERO-202||Beyond Visual Line of Sight Operations (BVLOS)||3.0|
|AERO-208||Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems - Professional Flight School||3.0|
|AREG-209||RPAS System Servicing||3.0|
|AERO-212||RPAS- Professional Operations and Planning||3.0|
|INSP-200||Visual Inspection Level II||1.5|
Students must attain a PGPA and/or a CGPA of 2.0 or better in each semester and pass the necessary prerequisite courses to progress through the program. To qualify for graduation, students must pass all courses, attain a CGPA of 2.0 or better and complete course requirements within the prescribed timelines.
2021/22 Domestic Tuition and Fees*
|Year||Tuition fees||SAIT fees||Saitsa fees||Health & Dental Plan||2021/22 total|
Campus athletic and recreation Fee: $183.20
Universal transit pass (UPass): $310 - Check eligibility here.
Student support fee: $150
Student technology fee: $150
Health and Dental Fees
- Health Plan: $122
- Dental Plan: $130
- For students with existing health and/or dental plans, please refer to the Saitsa website for information on opting out.
Books and supplies*
- Books are approximately $50 - $150.
- Mandatory drone build kit purchased from SAIT approximately $500 - $1000.
- For an estimate of the costs associated with purchasing a device that meets the standard hardware and software requirements, see our computers and laptops page.
Find out about tuition and financial aid.
* Tuition, fees, books and supply costs are subject to change.
Next steps for incoming students
Have you been accepted to this program? Here's what you'll need for your first day of classes.
To find the time and platform, visit our orientation page.
Computers and laptops
This is a bring your own device program with a standard hardware and software requirement. See the specific requirements on our computers and laptops page.
A tool list and timeline for purchasing the items will be provided at orientation.
Required personal protective equipment (PPE)
The industry-approved PPE you'll need will be discussed during orientation.
To support your success, SAIT offers some short courses before classes start, including PREP 100: The SAIT Experience and ETHI 110: SAIT Ethical Practices.
Find your booklist on the SAIT Bookstore's website. The booklist will be available closer to the program start date.
Can’t find your program or course? The bookstore didn't receive a textbook list. Contact your program directly to determine if they’re still refining course details or if you're in luck, no textbook purchase required this term.
Stephanie Hogewoning, Academic Chair
Next steps for all students
Here's what else you'll need to do to get ready!
Important dates and deadlines
Find important dates applicable to all students, including your transcript and tuition payment deadlines on our Important Dates page.