0 Recently Viewed Full-Time Program(s) Download Your Career and Program Guide

Student Loans

Get support to finance your education

A student working on a computer in a lab

Consider applying for a government student loan to help finance your education at SAIT.

If you're an apprentice registered in a Red Seal trade apprentice program there are also Canada Apprentice Loans available. 


To be eligible for a student loan, you must be a Canadian citizen, have permanent resident status or protected person status under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.

Students enrolled in full-time programs are eligible for both provincial and national student loans, while part-time students can apply for a Canada Student Loan.

For more information on eligibility and the loans available, visit Student Aid Alberta or Canada Student Loans.

For more detailed info please see the Student Aid Alberta Funding Guide.

When and how to apply for your student loan

Applications for 2018/19 now open

Apply now to make sure your loan is processed as soon as possible — you don't have to be accepted to SAIT to apply for funding.

  • If you're an Alberta resident, visit Student Aid Alberta to apply for a student loan.
  • If you've not lived in Alberta for at least 12 months prior to the start of your program, you must apply for student loan funding from your province of residence.

Apply Now

Get help applying for your student loan

If you need help applying for an Alberta student loan, contact our funding advisors.

Getting your Student Award Letter

After your loan application is processed, you'll receive a Student Award Letter from Student Aid Alberta. It explains how much money you'll get for the academic year and when and how you'll receive it (for example, as a Canada Student Loan, Alberta Student Loan, grants, etc.).

If you receive less money than requested on your loan application, you may appeal your assessment by completing a Request for Reconsideration form.

Paying your tuition with your student loan

If you've applied online through Student Aid Alberta and are approved for a student loan before the tuition payment deadline, SAIT will electronically confirm your full-time enrolment and request that payment is sent directly from Student Aid Alberta. This means that your tuition payment deadline will be deferred until your loan disbursement date.

If your loan does not cover the entire amount owing for tuition and fees, then you're responsible for paying the difference on or before the tuition payment deadline.

How to use your student loan to pay your tuition fees

Step one: Check your tuition balance on mySAIT
  • Log on to mySAIT.ca and select the myStudent tab
  • Click on Account Summary, then select Account Summary/Credit Card Payment
  • Refer to your account balance at the bottom of the page
Step two: Verify the tuition portion being sent to SAIT from Student Aid Alberta
  • Refer to the Tuition Portion column to see how much money will be paid to SAIT
  • Check the Date column to see when your tuition will be sent to SAIT from Student Aid Alberta. Your tuition payment deadline will be extended until your loan disbursement date.
Step three: Make sure your student loan funding covers your full tuition balance
  • Compare the tuition portion in your Student Aid Alberta account with your account balance in mySAIT.ca
  • If the tuition portion being sent directly to SAIT is not enough to cover your tuition balance, you will need to pay the difference on or before the tuition payment deadline.  
Step four: Receiving your loan money
  • Along with your Notice of Assessment, you'll receive two Master Student Financial Aid Agreement (MSFAA) forms — one for Alberta loans and one for Canada loans. You'll need to complete and submit both forms — make sure you have signed and dated both forms before submitting.
  • Take your completed MSFAA forms to an authorized Canada Post outlet for processing. You're required to provide government-issued photo identification, proof of your Social Insurance Number (SIN), and your personal banking information, such as a void cheque, for your forms to be processed.

Tuition refunds

If you've paid SAIT more money than you owe, you will receive a refund in the fall. For example, if you opt-out of the Health and Dental Plan, receive transfer or work experience credit, or over-pay your tuition, your money will be refunded to you.

Out-of-province students

If you've been approved for a student loan in a province other than Alberta, make sure you've sent a copy of your Notice of Assessment to the Office of the Registrar. We'll need this information to defer your tuition payment until your loan disbursement date.

Maintaining full-time status

To be eligible for student loans, you must meet and maintain the minimum requirement for full-time status. This means you must be registered in at least 60% of the program credits (nine credit hours per week) for the duration of the time you had indicated on your loan application.

Dropping a course may affect your student loan

If you're making changes to your schedule, make sure you're maintaining full-time status. If your status changes to part-time, any applicable tuition fee refund will be sent to Student Aid Alberta (for Alberta loans) or the Receiver General of Canada (for federal loans).

Failing a course may affect your student loan

If you're unable to meet the academic success requirements set by Student Aid Alberta, your loan money may be discontinued. If you fail a course and need to take it again, you won't get financing for it the second time.

Keeping your loans at an interest-free status

Notify your lender within six months of the end of each academic session to confirm that you are still a full-time student, and to keep your previous student loans at an interest-free status.

If you're in school and receiving student funding, then your previous loans will automatically reinstate your status. You do not need to do anything further.

If you're in school but not receiving student funding, then you must complete the application form to keep your Alberta and Canada Student Loans at interest-free status. The form will need to be signed by the Office of the Registrar representative before you present it to your lender.

Contact Office of the Registrar

If you have questions about paying your tuition with your student loan, contact the Office of the Registrar.

AA211, Heritage Hall

Contact Us

Enter Your Search Term Here
Start typing to search SAIT.ca
Refine Results

Search results