Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Mechanics are used extensively in a wide array of industries including process manufacturing, the medical profession, the petroleum industry, chemical processing and environmental control. This 12-week program covers all course materials received by a first year Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Mechanic apprentice, plus additional hands-on skills and safety training. The program prepares students to enter an apprenticeship and, on successful completion of the program, to write the first year Refrigeration apprenticeship exam.
Graduates of the Pre-Employment Refrigeration program have a 100% employment rate.
Credentials and Accreditation
Upon successful completion of the program, students will receive a SAIT Polytechnic Certificate and may be eligible to challenge the written and practical exams for first-year Apprenticeship.
Note: This program is eligible for the Canada-Alberta Job Grant.
Successful completion of the following courses or equivalents:
- Math 30-1, Math 30-2, Math 30-3, Pure Math 30 or Applied Math 30,
- English Language Arts 30-1 or English Language Arts 30-2,
- Physics 20 or Chemistry 20
- All applicants must demonstrate English Language Proficiency prior to admission, including students educated in Canada.
- A pass mark in the SAIT Admission Examination (level 5) or equivalent is accepted in lieu of the above requirements.
Note: General Educational Development (GED) tests are not accepted in lieu of the admission requirements.
Direct Entry: Four Step Process
Step 1: Read the program information to see the qualities needed for student success.
Step 2: Ensure that you meet all of the admission requirements listed above.
Step 3: Apply to Pre-Employment Refrigeration and Air Conditioning and submit your transcripts and/or anticipated final grades.
- Admission will be extended on a first-qualified, first-offered basis until the program is full.
Step 4: Find out how to monitor your application status after you apply.
To find the course description for a course shown below please go to our Course Finder.
|Course Code||Course Name||Credits|
|HTNG-223||Heating Theory I||1.5|
|RFRG-200||Refrigerant Handling Cert.||1.5|
|RFRG-211||Refrigeration Theory I||3.0|
|RFRG-220||Refrigeration Shop I||6.0|
Domestic Tuition and Fees*
|Tuition Fees||SAIT Fees||Student Association Fees||2017/18 Total|
Campus Athletic and Recreation Fee: N/A
Universal Transit Pass (UPass): Program does not meet UPass eligibility requirements.
Student Association (SAITSA) Fees
Health Plan: N/A
Dental Plan: N/A
Student Association: N/A
Cost and Supplies*
- Books are approximately $600 in addition to tuition fees.
- Membership to the SAIT wellness centre — including an ice arena, swimming/diving pool, gymnasium, squash and racquetball courts and weight room is available at a discounted rate.
Find out about Tuition and Financial Aid.
This program is eligible for Canada-Alberta Job Grant funding.
* Tuition, fees, books and supply costs are subject to change.
School of Construction