Green Building Technology (GBT) Lab and Demonstration Centre
The Green Building Technologies (GBT) research division at SAIT is a leader in net-zero energy design, construction and integrated renewable energy solutions. Working in cooperation with builders, government, regulatory bodies and numerous other stakeholders, the GBT team brings new products and processes to the green building marketplace.
Research area and purpose
As an applied research facility, GBT provides hands-on training and industry-based experience. With learning opportunities at its core, GBT engages students and researchers from multiple disciplines across different contexts and projects. On-campus research facilities are flexible, living laboratories, including a SAIT-designed and constructed Solar Lab, a Rainwater Harvesting Lab and the newly completed multi-million dollar GBT Lab and Demonstration Centre.
Projects typically undertaken by GBT connect consumers, industry and education to deliver residential and commercial building solutions. The GBT research division offers a broad range of service lines, technical consultation and "R&D" resources, including building-integrated solar and water technologies as well as green materials fabrication, prototyping and product testing.
The GBT Lab and Demonstration Centre (the "Centre") is a 6,350-square-foot living and breathing example of energy efficiency, building-integrated green technologies, and renewable energy solutions. With additional square footage dedicated to specialized workshops, testing bays, storage and a large construction staging area, the entire facility totals over 16,800 square feet of research infrastructure.
- Building Integrated Solar and Rainwater Harvesting Labs
- Solar Roller Mobile Lab
- Green roof test plots for water dispersion control and building energy monitoring
- Structural testing jigs for new building product performance measurement
- Guarded hot box for wall and roof system performance testing
- Lifecycle testing for wall, roof, cladding and building components
- Electrical, plumbing and carpentry workshops
- 5,800 square-foot pre-manufactured construction and staging area
- Solar carport and electric vehicle charging bays
- Smart building monitoring and performance measurement
- Solar aquatic and constructed wetland bio-filtration
- Living wall comparative test plots
- Advanced Mobile Labs
- Centre for Innovative Information Technology Solutions
- Chemical and Environmental Analysis Lab
- Composites Fabrication Lab
- Enerplus Centre for Innovation
- Green Building Technology Lab
- Industry Innovation Labs
- Kinetica Innovation Centre
- Materials Testing Lab
- Process Operations Lab
- SAIT RFID Test Lab
- Solar Lab Green Building Technologies
- Solar Roller
- Solids Modeling Lab
- Technology Demonstration Hall