Who is eligible to receive the UPass?
To be eligible for a UPass, you must be:
- Taking at least nine hours of class time per week, and,
- Attending 15 consecutive weeks of classes - the 15 weeks must all be within one term (e.g. fall, winter or spring)
- Fall: Sept. 1 to Dec. 31
- Winter: Jan. 1 to April 30
- Spring: May 1 to Aug. 31
- Attending classes on campus (distance education and students on practicum are not eligible), and,
- Your tuition must be paid in full or student loan funding must be confirmed before you can pick up your UPass.
How much does the UPass cost?
The UPass costs $145 per semester and is included in tuition fees for most full-time programs. Find out if you've paid for a UPass by checking your account balance in mySAIT.ca.
Where do I get my UPass?
You can also get your UPass by visiting an Office of the Registrar representative in your school.
Tuition must be paid in full or student loan funding must be confirmed before you can get your UPass.
Is there a deadline to pick up my UPass?
You should pick up your UPass within the first month of the term because unused UPasses are returned to the City of Calgary. We can't guarantee the UPass will be available after the first month of the term.
Can I get a refund if I don't need the UPass?
No. This mandatory fee pays for a service benefiting the majority of SAIT students. If for some reason you cannot utilize your regular mode of transportation, or during inclement weather, isn't it nice to know you have an alternative?
Can I transfer my UPass to another person?
No. This pass is strictly non-transferable — make sure you're familiar with Calgary Transit's conditions of use. Any card believed to be fraudulently used or altered will be immediately confiscated by Calgary Transit authorities and the holder is subject to a violation ticket and fine.
SAIT will be informed of the violation for further action under our Student Code of Conduct AC.3.4.1. UPasses acquired from sources other than SAIT will be subject to a non-academic misconduct investigation for all involved.
How long is my UPass valid?
A new UPass will be issued each semester:
- Fall semester - Valid from Sept. 1 to Dec. 31
- Winter semester - Valid from Jan. 1 to April 30
- Spring/Summer - Valid from May 1 to Aug. 31
Your UPass gives you unlimited access to Calgary Transit during the period it is valid.
There are absolutely NO extensions on expiry dates.
What if UPass is lost or stolen?
You will be charged the full price for a new UPass.
What will happen if I am caught riding the Transit system with an expired UPass?
You will be presented with a fine by the Transit Security authorities. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the Office of the Registrar.