Experience an inclusive community at SAIT
SAIT is a diverse campus and we are committed to providing an inclusive place to work and study. We will continue to enhance resources for our LGBTQ2+ community and effect positive change.
In partnership with the LGBTQ2+ community, allies and the Pride at SAIT Committee — a volunteer advisory committee from SAIT and SAITSA — we're working to provide a community at SAIT that is inclusive of and accessible to all individuals regardless of gender expression, gender identity or sexual orientation.
Connect with the SAIT Pride community!🌈
- The new Student Pride at SAIT group on MS Teams is a safe, welcoming online community dedicated to connecting and engaging LGBTQ2+ students. Students can email firstname.lastname@example.org to join the group.
- Saitsa hosts a weekly Pride Zoom Room every Thursday from noon – 1 pm, where SAIT students can connect and discuss LGBTQ2+ related topics. Check the schedule for Zoom links to join.
Support during COVID-19
We understand this is a unique and challenging time. There are a number of supports and resources available to the LGBTQ2+ community:
- Access student supports. Even if you’re not physically on campus, you’re still part of the SAIT community and support is available.
- Connect with the LGBTQ2+ community virtually. Calgary Outlink and the Centre for Sexuality are hosting online hangouts, training and support while their offices are closed — find events listed on their Facebook pages.
- Take free online training. Learn about the history, terms and phrases of the LGBTQ2+ community by completing Pride at Work Canada’s course, LGBT 101. Contact email@example.com if you’re interested.
Current information on SAIT’s response to COVID-19 and a set of evolving frequently asked questions for students are available at sait.ca/covid19.
Definitions and understanding
Often we hear that people are not sure what the appropriate nomenclature is for the LGBTQ2+ community. There is a rainbow of definitions used in today's culture and we recommend reviewing the definitions provided by the Centre for Sexuality and exploring some of the external link resources listed below.
We encourage gender-diverse students who would like to discuss preferred name changes in confidence to contact firstname.lastname@example.org. We can help you meet with a representative who can outline currently available options, provide support with informing instructors and also offer LGBTQ2+ resources at SAIT.
SAITSA Pride Club, Allies and Pride at SAIT Committee
SAITSA Pride Club
Whether you're looking to network, make new friends or give back to the community, being part of a student club is one of the most fulfilling ways students get the most out of campus life. Visit SAITSA Clubs to sign up and start checking out the student clubs on campus.
Allies at SAIT
SAIT has trained allies who are working to promote a welcome and inclusive environment for LGBTQ2+ learners and staff. After completing their training, allies receive a rainbow lanyard to help make them visible as an ally.
Employees who have received their Pride at Work Canada LGBTQ2+ Workplace Inclusion Certificate and available to contact are:
- An Tran, Career Development Specialist, 403.774.5318
- Andy Trache, Academic Advisor, Hospitality and Tourism, 403.284.8612
- Brad Donaldson, Vice President Academic, 403.210.4318
- Carrie Monk, Alumni and Stakeholder Relations Assistant, Alumni and Development, 403.210.4062
- Erin Boyle, Coordinator, Student Employment and Career Services, 403.284.8753
- Heather Kuryk, Instructor, Business, 403.284.8790
- Heather Magotiaux, Vice President External Relations, 403.284.4318
- Holly Sadowsky, ELF Instructor, Learner and Academic Services, 403.210.4580
- Jennifer Peters, Library Technician, Learner and Academic Services, 403.284.7174
- John Partington, Transfer Options Coordinator, 403.210.5788
- Kattina (Kat) Michele, Facilitator, Career Exploration Centre, Youth & Strategic Initiatives, 403.774.5271
- Laura Lavigne, Coordinator, Academic Partnerships, 403.210.5909
- Lenore Norris, Manager, Lamb Learner Success Centre, 403.284.7080
- Mark Wall, Manager, Student Engagement, 403.284.8299
- Michelle Richards, Administrative Assistant, Business, 403.774.5333
- Nicole Gerlitz, Senior Market Research Analyst, Business Intelligence and Analytics, 403.774.4917
- Pamela Heath, Interim Associate Director, Learner and Academic Services, 403.284.8798
- Sarah Ward, Student Engagement Facilitator, 403.210.4358
- Shan Roberson, Interim AVP, Learner and Academic Services, 403.210.5764
- Terri Eklund, Educational Developer, 403.284.8474
- Tim Nethercott, Chaplain for the United and Presbyterian Churches, 403.284.7385
Pride at SAIT Committee
As a volunteer advisory committee, Pride at SAIT continues to work to ensure that the SAIT community is inclusive of and accessible to all individuals. The committee strives to meet its mission through:
- working toward the elimination of heterosexism, transphobia, homophobia and gender identity oppression within the SAIT community
- outreach to the SAIT community
To learn more about the committee and how to get involved, please email email@example.com.
Individuals with questions, concerns or complaints about accommodation, discrimination and harassment can find confidential support and advocacy both on and off-campus.
|Positive spaces provide SAIT students with a place where they can experience diversity, inclusion and feel empowered. Visit or contact Accessibility Services or Academic Coaching and Tutoring for additional support to help you feel more at home at SAIT.|
|Gender and sexuality support through Student Development and Counselling Services|
|Harassment and discrimination hotline - 403.210.4406|
To learn more about the Pride at SAIT Committee, SAIT-wide initiatives or to get involved with upcoming events, contact us: