Peer Mentorship Program
Peer mentorship is a unique opportunity to connect with your SAIT classmates. Both having a student mentor and being one is a great way to build confidence and enhance essential skills that help you stand out to employers.
Whether you’re starting at SAIT and could use some advice from someone who’s done it all before or looking ahead to graduation and getting hired, being involved with peer mentorship can have a huge impact.
Peer Mentorship - Winter 2022!
Registrations for Peer Mentorship-Fall 2021 are now closed. Registrations for both Mentees and Mentors will open again for the Winter term from October 11, 2021, to January 14, 2022. The Peer Mentorship Program-Winter 2022 commences Monday, January 24. Be sure to register and reserve your spot for this very popular and successful program. All mentorship activity will occur online through Microsoft Teams or face to face when COVID-19 restrictions are lifted. Program and registration details are list below.
The peer mentorship program matches senior student mentors with mentees from any program and in any year or semester. Matches become part of a structured relationship and are based on a common program of study.
A mentor may be matched with a single mentee or with several mentees to form a small group. Mentors and Mentees meet approximately one hour per week for a total of 12 weeks each semester. Mentors and Mentees are supported by an orientation and are required to complete the Peer Mentorship Training Course. All mentorship activity will occur online through Microsoft Teams or face to face when COVID-19 restrictions are lifted.
Gain confidence and insight to help you navigate campus life at SAIT throughout your SAIT journey.
Sign up for a peer mentor to:
- meet new people and expand your community
- improve your communication, critical thinking and collaboration skills
- learn about resources and services on campus
- develop networking, professional and relationship-building skills
- gain credit for your co-curricular record
- start your life-long mentorship journey.
Did you know? Studies show having a mentor improves GPA, course completion and increases confidence, motivation and self-belief.
Boost your leadership skills and help a new student adjust to life on campus. Support student success by referring your mentee to useful resources, encouraging them to get involved and providing guidance on how to succeed at SAIT.
To qualify as a peer mentor, you must:
- be in your second semester or higher
- maintain a GPA of 3.0 or better
- be in good standing with the Office of Student Conduct
- demonstrate an ability to engage and encourage others
- demonstrate empathy towards the ideas and experiences of others
- be passionate about your SAIT experience.
As a peer mentor, you will:
- enhance your self-awareness through positive role modelling
- put your engaging communication techniques and critical-thinking abilities into practice
- build relationships along with your interpersonal skills
- contribute to a great campus culture
- improve your career profile and gain credit for your co-curricular record.
Training and support will be provided.
Did you know? Studies show being a mentor increases academic performance, self-understanding, communication and personal growth.
Note: Mentors are not tutors — they are not expected to assist mentees with coursework.