Making SAIT home: From Trinidad and Tobago to Calgary for Electrical Engineering Technology
SAIT has welcomed international students from 140+ countries around the world to study everything from electrical engineering technology to business administration.
To celebrate International Education Week, Nov. 16 - 20, five international students share what brought them to SAIT, their favourite thing about Calgary and their top tips for international students planning to study #hereatSAIT.
Richie, Trinidad and Tobago, Electrical Engineering Technology
What brought you to SAIT?
I came to SAIT to take the Electrical Engineering Technology program. I chose SAIT because the programs are tailored to meet the needs of industry, the facilities are world-class and SAIT as an institution is held in high regard throughout Canada.
How are you making the most of your experience in Calgary and at SAIT?
Given that I got out of quarantine just a few days before the semester started, it was crucial to find the right balance. My classes, assignments and studying have been a priority — I recognized I will have time during my semester breaks to experience all that Calgary has to offer. That being said, I had the opportunity to experience snow for the first time — the whole process of preparing for my first winter has been an exciting experience.
What are your top three tips for international students planning to study at SAIT?
- Learn to meal prep healthy and nutritious meals for a few days in advance. It will save you a lot of money and time.
- Make time to engage in physical activity or exercise a priority. It definitely helps to keep you in a great mood throughout the day and manage the stress levels associated with studying.
- Embrace the experience of being in Calgary. Some things might be different to your home country, but take it as a learning experience in your personal development.
What’s your favourite thing about Calgary?
My favourite thing about Calgary so far is the people I have met here. They have been fantastic and definitely helped my transition into life here — so much so, that after two months Calgary is now beginning to feel like home.
What’s your favourite thing about studying at SAIT?
My classmates and instructors. They truly want to see you succeed and give you as much support as they can.
Let’s get global!
Connect with people and cultures from around the world and add a global perspective to your student experience during International Education Week.
- Golnaz, Iran “I would highly recommend that international students participate in events on campus or online to gain new experiences, meet new people and make friends.”
- Kenmay, Philippines “Top tips for international students: Food, seasonal clothes and slang.”
- Ravi, India “SAIT has a very good reputation amongst employers, so if you can show your capabilities in the classroom, you will do well when it’s time to look for work.”
- Sabiha, United States “Whether it's my classmates or my instructors, everyone here is just so friendly and open-minded, always willing to offer a hand.”
Make the most of your transition to Canada and SAIT
Connect with experts and access resources through the International Centre.
We prepare students for successful careers and lives.