Designed for students in Grades 6 – 10, this workshop will look at what Virtual Reality (VR) and Augmented Reality (AR) are and how technology is used within different industries and our lives. Students will engage in VR stations showcasing different industries, entertainment, and art.
Please note: If we are coming to your school, a large area (Gymnasium, stage, library) is needed for the virtual reality experience. An initial presentation space or classroom is needed for the introduction and conclusion of the workshop. Twenty-four students can participate in the hands-on component of the workshop at a time.
Workshop objectives and outcomes
- Describe the Extended Reality (XR) continuum.
- Identify and classify Virtual Reality (VR), Augmented Reality (AR), and Mixed Reality (MR).
- Describe the concept of Degrees of Freedom (DoF).
- Identify Inside-Out versus Outside-In positional tracking methods.
- Identify examples of existing XR devices.
- I can define “Digital Citizenship”.
- I can identify the differences and similarities between Virtual Reality (VR), Augmented Reality (AR), and Mixed Reality (MR) technology platforms.
- I can recognize movement constrained to 3 and 6 degrees of freedom (3DoF and 6DoF).
- I can list existing applications for VR, AR, and MR in various industries.