Craft a resumé that gets noticed
Get career ready with help from the Student Employment and Career Centre
Get a head start on getting hired with a great resumé — and some pro tips from the Student Employment and Career Centre:
- Get on My Career Hub — not only will you find an inventory of job opportunities, there's a resumé builder template that can help kick things off.
- Follow companies you're interested in on social media. Both job postings and social content are full of keywords and hints on what to highlight on your resumé.
- Get involved and get skills — skills you can include on your resumé, skills your next boss wants in an employee. Check out co-curricular opportunities, student clubs and industry events to get started.
- No formal work experience? Talk about current/past school projects on your resumé. Things like capstone projects and practicum experience are great for demonstrating the hands-on experience you've gained as a student.
- Clean up your digital act. 98% of companies use LinkedIn for recruiting. While it's good to show a bit of personality, make sure you don't post anything inappropriate that would give a company a reason not to hire you.
- Remember, always tailor your resumé and cover letter to the position you're applying for.