Take time out for mindfulness
Increase your calm. Boost your focus. Be present in the moment.
Practicing mindfulness can help improve memory and reduce negative emotions. Make a moment mindful with these tips from SAIT’s Student Development and Counselling team.
- Stop, look around: name five things you see, four things you feel, three things you hear, two things you smell, one thing you taste.
- Observe: pick an object and slowly describe it in detail — colour, texture, shape.
- Savour the flavour: use all five senses during your next snack. Focus on taste, texture, temperature.
- Take a break while you’re walking: look up, look around and search for five colours. Notice your feet as they hit the ground, count each step.
- Breathe freely: Try breathing in and thinking of one thing you’re thankful for. Then breathe out and exhale one worry.
Learn more about mindfulness — drop by Mindful Moments, Tuesdays through Dec. 3, 12:15 - 12:45 pm NL102, Senator Burns building.
Student success is at the core of SAIT’s values, and mental health and well-being is vital to that success. Through collaborative action and an inclusive spirit of community support, SAIT’s Student Mental Health Strategy will foster a climate for learning that empowers our students to thrive.