Geographic Information Systems (GIS) is a computer-based science and technology that integrates computer hardware, software, data and skilled professionals. This tight integration enables the user to leverage the visual clarity of maps with the analytical capabilities of a database to improve the decision-making process.
GIS is a multidisciplinary tool that can be used anywhere geography-based data and information are used. In recent years, GIS has seen explosive growth in numerous industries and has become a standard in industry sectors including oil and gas, archaeology, business and marketing, environmental sciences, real estate, urban planning and more.
Some of the key GIS uses include the following:
- as a support tool, helping companies inventory, manage and map their assets
- as a powerful decision-making tool capable of presenting very effective solutions to problems
- to create models that help predict future trends
The Bachelor of Applied Technology in Geographic Information Systems at SAIT is a fast-paced learning environment where we offer state-of-practice training in GIS and associated technologies such as cartography, computer programming, databases, global positioning systems (GPS) and remote sensing.
To obtain the Bachelor of Applied Technology in GIS, you must have a minimum of two years of post-secondary training from a recognized educational institute.
Degree candidates must complete a total of 60 SAIT academic credits and 800 hours of work practicum to graduate.
The applied GIS degree can be fully completed through online learning. Please ensure you take the courses in the order they are listed in below.
|GIS Data Capture I||GEOS-409||Online|
|GIS Data Manipulation and Transformation||GEOS-410||Online|
|GIS Data Modeling||GEOS-418||Online|
|GIS Data Analysis and Output||GEOS-419||Online|
|Geospatial Project Foundations||GEOS-406||Online|
|GIS Data Capture II||GEOS-451||Online|
|Data Management and Analysis||GEOS-453||Online|
|Geoprocessing and Programming||GEOS-455||Online|
|Cartography and Geovisualization||GEOS-457||Online|
|Applied GIS Capstone Project||GEOS-459||Online|
|Applied GIS Directed Field Studies||GEOS-540||Workplace Practicum (800 hours)
The associated certificate does not have any prerequisites and is offered through online education.
Take charge of your future.
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss the BGIS program, admission requirements, and admission process.
- Contact 403.284.8367 or email@example.com for information on individual course offerings or the Certificates listed below.
- If you would like to take courses beyond the certificate, admission into the BGIS program is required.