This 12-week program is designed to offer an alternative route to those looking to enter the Industrial Mechanic (Millwright) trade. This program covers all course materials received by a first-year Industrial Mechanic (Millwright) apprentice.
Students in this program will be provided the opportunity to install, troubleshoot, repair and maintain industrial equipment. Students will gain knowledge such as machining, machine assembly, blueprint reading, rigging and hoisting, bearings, power transmissions, machine alignment, drive systems, welding techniques and use of precision measurement tools and testing equipment.
The program prepares students to enter into an apprenticeship with hands-on skills. Upon successful completion of the program, students will qualify to challenge the first-year Industrial Mechanic (Millwright) apprenticeship exam.
Industrial Mechanics (Millwright) are exposed to the duties involved in a variety of other trades, and therefore can be good candidates for promotion to supervisory and superintendent positions. Industrial Mechanics (Millwright) may find work in a wide variety of industries including: oil and gas, construction, manufacturing, materials handling, and ski lift maintenance.
If you choose a career as an Industrial Mechanic (Millwright), you'll need the following characteristics:
- Problem-solving capabilities
- Physical strength and stamina
- Good hand-eye coordination and manual dexterity
- The ability to visualize a layout by looking at plans and blueprints
- The ability to troubleshoot mechanical systems
- Analytical and ability to work to precise measurements
- Enjoy working with your hands
Areas of Study
- Machine Shop
- Trades math
- Power transmission
- Rigging and hoisting
- Machine alignment
- Blueprint reading
Upon successful completion of the program, you may be eligible to register as an apprentice in the Industrial Mechanic (Millwright) program, once you find employment.
Credentials and Accreditation
Upon successful completion of the program, students will receive a SAIT Certificate and may be eligible to challenge the written and practical exams for first-year Apprenticeship.
Successful completion of the following courses or equivalents:
- Math 20-1, Math 20-2, Math 20-3, Pure Math 20, or Applied Math 20,
- English Language Arts 20-1 or English Language Arts 20-2,
- Science 10
- All applicants must demonstrate English Language Proficiency prior to admission, including students educated in Canada.
- A pass mark in the SAIT Admission Examination (Level 4) or equivalent is accepted in lieu of the above requirements.
Note: General Educational Development (GED) tests are not accepted in lieu of the admission requirements.
Direct Entry: Four Step Process
Step 1: Read the program information to see the qualities needed for student success.
Step 2: Ensure that you meet all of the admission requirements listed above.
Step 3: Apply to Pre-Employment Industrial Mechanical (Millwright) and submit your transcripts and/or anticipated final grades.
- Admission will be extended on a first-qualified, first-offered basis until the program is full.
Step 4: Find out how to monitor your application status after you apply.
To find the course description for a course shown below please go to our Course Finder.
|Course Code||Course Name||Credits|
|APSC 201||Millwright Blueprint & Math||1.5|
|MWRT 203||Millwright Theory I||1.5|
|MWRT 213||Millwright Machine Shop||3.0|
|MWRT 223||Millwright Shop I||1.5|
|MWRT 243||Millwright Machine Theory||1.5|
|MWRT 245||Millwright Supplemental||1.5|
|MWRT 246||Millwright Lab||1.5|
Domestic Tuition and Fees*
|Tuition Fees||SAIT Fees||Student Association Fees||2017/18 Total|
Campus Athletic and Recreation Fee: N/A
Universal Transit Pass (UPass): Program does not meet UPass eligibility requirements.
Student association (SAITSA) Fees
Health Plan: N/A
Dental Plan: N/A
Student Association: N/A
Cost and Supplies*
- Modules are provided to the students on the first day of the class and the modules are included in the cost of the tuition.
Safety glasses and CSA approved safety footwear are required.
- Membership to the SAIT wellness centre — including an ice arena, swimming/diving pool, gymnasium, squash and racquetball courts and weight room is available at a discounted rate.
Find out about Tuition and Financial Aid.
* Tuition, fees, books and supply costs are subject to change.
School of Manufacturing and Automation