Explore the Internet of Things (IoT) and discover how the devices we interact with every day are a part of a giant network that affects the way we live and interact with almost everything around us. Designed for students in Grades 7 – 9, this 90-minute workshop will bring awareness to the Internet of Things (IoT) and explore how we can connect and automate tasks in our home through the use of the Raspberry Pi. Students will also be challenged to think about how they would transform Calgary into a Smart City through the interconnected nature of the Internet of Things.
Please Note: Students will be required to have access to a computer to participate in the workshop. Teachers are encouraged to utilize a space with access to a projector, so students are able to follow the workshop while working on their individual devices.
Workshop objectives and outcomes
- Awareness of the Internet of Things and how can it enhance our lives.
- Explore applications of IoT in our homes and workplaces.
- Recognize the strengths and weaknesses of commercial IoT devices.
- Observe how IoT devices can be made with a Raspberry Pi computer.
- Work collaboratively with a group to explore how to transform Calgary into a Smart City
- I can define "digital transformation".
- I can define “Internet of Things”.
- I am aware of the strengths and advantages of IoT devices.
- I am aware of the security challenges of IoT devices.
- I understand how IoT devices can be applied to enhance my life.