A deferral of admission is moving a confirmed seat in a specific program for a specific term to the same program in a future term. Deferrals are only considered under extenuating circumstances. The term you request to move to must be open for applications when your request is made.
Deferrals will be considered on a case-by-case basis and must be approved by the Office of the Registrar. Review the criteria below to determine your eligibility for this option.
- You can only request one deferral per application.
- Your request must be for a future term of the academic year in which you are currently accepted.
- You must have accepted an offer of admission to a specific program by paying the tuition deposit within the designated timeframe indicated on your offer letter. Your application status must be at confirmation paid or confirmation/documents required for a deferral to be considered.
- You cannot request to defer your admission if you have registered in any classes that are part of your upcoming program.
- The deadline to request a deferral depends on whether your program is blended or online. Review the delivery modes for your semester and program to determine how your courses will be delivered.
- The deferral request deadline for Fall 2021 programs starting in September is Monday, July 12 — this is the date regardless of your program delivery method.
- Programs starting in October: the deferral deadline is Wednesday, Sept. 1.
- Programs starting in November: the deferral deadline is Friday, Oct. 1.
If you are not eligible to defer your application, you can keep your seat in your current term, or cancel your application and apply for a new semester within the same academic year. If you are confirmed into your program in the new term, we will transfer your non-refundable tuition deposit, less a $250 administration fee, to your new application. Your deposit will not be transferred to a different academic year.
Our academic years run from July 1 to June 30 of the following calendar year. This means your tuition deposit paid for Fall 2021 can be transferred to an offered seat for Winter or Spring 2022 minus $250. It cannot be transferred to Summer or Fall 2022.
As every situation is different, please contact the Office of the Registrar with your request. Your request must include the reason you wish to defer and supporting documentation.
Students on a waitlist can request to have their application moved to a future intake for any SAIT program including their current waitlisted program within the same academic year.
Students can only move their applications to a term currently open for admissions. This transfer will not occur automatically as students need to contact the Office of the Registrar to make this request.
Please note: if you transfer your waitlisted application, your previous application will be cancelled.
Your tuition deposit is non-refundable. If your request to defer your application is approved before the deadline, your non-refundable tuition deposit will be held on your account and transferred to the later start automatically. Your tuition deposit cannot be refunded unless you meet the refund eligibility requirements.