Library Digest May June 2021
The Library Digest is published in the second half of each month and highlights what’s happening and what’s coming up at your Library.
What’s Happening at your Library
- In this edition of Meet Your Library Staff, we are featuring Alison Hart. She works on our Instruction and Communication team as an Instruction and Communication Support Specialist.
- The latest edition of LibLIGHTS- A Year in Review is a statistical review of the research services and resources we provided to our SAIT community this past year.
- Check out our New and Notable Resource List which features e-resources to help you with job searching, resume and cover letter writing, and job interview preparation.
- Chat Reference Assistance is available Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm if you need assistance accessing library resources and services.
- NEW! The Library opened our physical space in a limited capacity on June 1. Students can now book time at computers or at BOYD study spaces. Details on how to book study space are available at https://libguides.sait.ca/covid-19.
- Visit COVID-19 Library Service Information for more information on our services and if you need help using many of the library resources check out our tip sheets on the Library FAQ.
- Stay tuned for more announcements on adapted services in the coming weeks.
Tips and Tricks from the Pros – Searching for Information on a Specific Company
You may need find information on a company for a business research assignment that your instructor has given you or maybe you are gathering research about a company for a job interview. Here are some ways for you to help you find information about a company:
- Library search - You can begin with a general library search using keywords to find relevant information on a specific company. For example, try searching for a company such as “rona inc.” and then if you want to refine your results, look on the left-hand side of the page and limit the results by availability, publication date, or resource type.
- Business Databases – We recommend using these three Business databases when you are searching for information on a specific company or an industry. You will learn more detailed information about a company when you search in either Business Source Complete or Business Insights: Essentials while IBISWorld has lots of information on different companies within their Industry Reports.
- Business Source Complete covers all disciplines of business with additional market research reports, industry reports, country reports, company profiles, and SWOT (Strengths Weaknesses. Opportunities and Threat) analyses.
- Business Insights: Essentials provides up to date and topical business information on thousands of companies, plus industry intelligence. It also includes articles from business related journals and reference books.
- IBISWorld contains over Canadian and US Industry reports. research reports, statistics and analysis on market size, market share of major companies, and industry growth rates.
- Article searching – These databases are really helpful if you want to find articles on a particular company in scholarly journals, magazines, trade journals, and newspapers.
- Canadian Business and Current Affairs (CBCA) Complete is updated daily with full-text and bibliographic content from Canadian sources, including millions of full-text articles and records from 1933 and onwards on Canadian current events, business, science and technology, medical, humanities and the arts, and hundreds of other topics.
- Canadian Newsstream provides access to Canadian daily and weekly newspapers with articles dating back to the early 1980s and it includes urban, rural and community newspapers, and publications from across the country.
- ABI/INFORM Collection provides comprehensive coverage of business topics, including: local and regional business news, professional business journals, scholarly research, trade and industry publications, and more.
- Websites: Finding accurate and relevant company information on the World Wide Web is challenging because there is some much information out there. Try going directly to the company’s official website because most companies publish press releases, advisories, reports (audits, annual reports, etc.), financial documents, and other announcements on their company websites. Here are some other websites that we found to help you as well:
To learn more about other business resources you can check out our Business Resources LibGuide or book an online meeting with one of our library liaisons.
Feature Resource - Business Insights: Essentials
Business Insights: Essentials is an excellent starting point for any business research project for students, marketing professionals, investors, financial planners, business owners or general researchers. It is a great resource because it provides reliable, up to date, and in-depth business information on thousands of companies.
It contains detailed company and industry profiles including SWOT Reports (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, and Threat Reports), Market Share Reports and financial reports. There are company histories, industry overviews, academic journal articles, and recent business news updates.
Research, analyze, interpret and understand companies and industries with real-world applications, develop analytical processes, and compare companies and industries using the company profiles and the proprietary private company information. Their business glossary also has a comprehensive alphabetical list of business terms to help you with unfamiliar business vocabulary.
All current students, faculty, and staff can login to Business Insights: Essentials with their mySAIT credentials.