Centre for Innovation and Research in Unmanned Systems
As organizations across all sectors explore the applications and capabilities of unmanned systems, SAIT is supporting innovation and new technology development through its Centre for Innovation and Research in Unmanned Systems (CIRUS).
Researchers with SAIT's Applied Research and Innovation Services department, SAIT's School of Construction faculty, students, and industry partners converge in this cross-disciplinary environment to address challenges, create efficiencies, and develop and test new products and applications.
The mission of CIRUS is to expand the role unmanned systems play in data acquisition and management and create organizational efficiencies across various sectors and regulatory environments.
- Developing customized platforms and sensors
- Developing solutions customized for client-specific applications
- Discovering innovative applications for unmanned systems technologies
- Testing and validation of novel products
The expertise available through CIRUS is diverse, with all researchers and faculty contributing their unique skills and experiences
SAIT also engages several of Alberta's leading colleges, allowing us to draw on an even greater pool of expertise when needed.
- flood risk assessment
- oil and gas leak detection
- greenhouse-gas emissions detection and Flux modeling
- construction management
- building scanning and modeling
- health and safety inspection
- oilfield facilities inspection
- beyond visual line-of-sight applications for utility and transportation corridors
- RFID-enabled unmanned systems for hard management
- film and videography
- search and rescue
Case study: UAV project with Imperial
SAIT partnered with Imperial to help implement unmanned systems at Imperial's Kearl site in northern Alberta.
Watch the video to see how this collaboration leads the way in how unmanned systems can be used regularly to collect photography and supporting data to inform Imperial's Geoscience team on the site's geology while improving safety, sustainability, and operational efficiencies.
Partner with us
Our expert researchers, equipment, and facilities support business planning, product design and development, fabrication and prototyping, product testing, and technology verification, culminating in industry education and public outreach.Submit a project inquiry