Graduates of the Data Analytics post-diploma certificate will develop the knowledge, skills and aptitude to apply fundamental principles of data analytics. Learners will align data with business decision-making processes, creating accurate and meaningful storytelling with actionable insights.
Courses in the program address the methods used to organize and analyze structured and unstructured (big data) sets to facilitate informed decision making.
The program will focus on predictive analytics, which uses statistical models and forecasting to understand possible future scenarios, as well as prescriptive analytics, which uses optimization and simulation to produce recommendations on possible outcomes.
Graduates of this program will be able to:
- Manipulate data using data science, modelling, ethics and ETL in a business context that is relevant to decision-making.
- Contextualize data in a format that maps to business processes, objectives and aligns data analysis to strategic outcomes.
- Build presentations that communicate data analysis effectively and accurately for a business audience using visualizations (dashboards) and storytelling.
- Perform statistical and algorithmic analyses on cloud-based and on-premise data sets using a variety of tools and techniques.
- Explain the use of machine learning and artificial intelligence as it relates to data analysis.
- Use industry recognized programs and tools to extract meaning from data.
- Demonstrate core strategic, tactical and operational business processes which are driven by data for evidence-based decision making.
- Apply fundamental data analytics principles, aligning data and business processes to create accurate, actionable insights.
Possible job opportunities for graduates include business analyst, data analytics analyst, data analytics specialist, data and reporting analyst, data steward and business intelligence analyst.
This is an intensive program requiring a commitment of both time and energy; students who experience success are those who make their education a priority throughout the program. We find there is a direct correlation between the time and energy invested to the amount of success achieved. Learners with strong time-management and discipline have a greater propensity to succeed. Remaining focused and diligent with coursework is important for success in completing the program.
Credentials and accreditations
Upon successful completion of this program, graduates will receive a SAIT Data Analytics post-diploma certificate.
Applicants must meet one of the following (or equivalent), as well as the English Proficiency requirement*:
- Post-secondary degree or diploma from a recognized university, institute or college.
- A combination of education and experience will be considered, upon approval from the Academic Chair.
* All applicants must demonstrate English language proficiency prior to admission, including students educated in Canada.
The ideal candidate for the Data Analytics post-diploma certificate has a previous post-secondary diploma or degree. Education in business, economics, finance, etc. would be ideal.
You have a strong math background and foundational education in statistics. You have worked with data and are intrigued by the power of data and how it can be analyzed to support good business decision-making.
Previous experience working with databases is an asset.
Get started as an undeclared student
The courses in the Data Analytics program allow for registration into individual courses without going through the SAIT application process. It is important you read the ideal candidate statement above to be sure you are a good fit for these courses.
You may apply to complete the credential at any time through Apply Alberta at which time you will have to submit transcripts for entrance into the credential. You must apply for prior learning assessment if you wish to get credit for a required course based on previous education or experience.
- The courses listed are not shown in instructional order. Due to the nature of the fast-track programs some course may be modified or replaced.
- To see course availability, schedules and to register, follow the course links below.
|Course code||Course name||Credit|
|DATA 401||Data Literacy||3.0|
|DATA 410||Business Context for Data Analytics||3.0|
|DATA 415||Statistical Analysis of Data||3.0|
|DATA 420||Predictive Analysis||3.0|
|DATA 445||Business Analytics with Excel||3.0|
|DATA 460||Business Intelligence Reporting||3.0|
|DATA 475||Advanced Concepts in Data Analytics||3.0|
|PROJ 406||Data Analytics Capstone Project||3.0|
|Total Program Credits||24.0|