0 Recently Viewed Program(s)

Resources and Terminologies

Provided by the International Centre, the following supportive resources and terminology may help you be successful in your studies.

Academic regulations

Good standing

All students at SAIT begin their program in good standing, which is associated with a students' Grade Point Average (GPA). As long as your SGPA and CHPA are 2.0 or above, you'll remain in good standing.

Academic probation

The academic status assigned to a student who doesn't meet the progression requirements for a program — typically a minimum Grade Point Average of 2.0. Academic probation also refers to the status of a student who has academically been withdrawn from a program and who has now returned to the same program or another program at SAIT.

Academic withdrawal

Students are placed on academic withdrawal when both SGPA and CGPA requirements are not met for the second time. Students on academic withdrawal are suspended from SAIT for eight calendar months with no access to courses or programs.


Academic misconduct

Misconduct generally means unacceptable and improper behaviour by students in academic settings. Examples of academic misconduct are plagiarism, cheating and collusion. There are consequences to academic misconduct while you study at SAIT, and it will be noted on your academic transcript and will remain on your record indefinitely.

Non-academic misconduct

Non-academic misconduct refers to unacceptable and improper behaviours of students, generally outside the classroom settings aside from their quizzes, assignments, and exams. To avoid non-academic misconduct, students are expected to behave with respect to others on campus, properties of SAIT and others, and abide by laws, regulations and rules.

Grading system

Grade point average

A grade point average is assigned to your letter and percentage grade for each course you take at SAIT. Most credit courses are assigned a letter grade and percentage grades, which are used to calculate your grade point average.

To check your GPA, log into your mySAIT account, select 'Student Records' and select 'Final Grades' or 'Grade Details'.

Your grade details provide you with information on the breakdown of what you have accomplished in each course. Some instructors choose to provide every detail, but some instructors don't. Check SAIT's grade scale, percentages and how GPA works, and stay up-to-date with your progress in each course.

Cumulative GPA (CGPA) and semester GPA (SGPA)

CGPA is the overall cumulative weighted GPA for all courses you complete. SGPA is the weighted GPA for all courses you complete in a specific semester.

Graduation requirements

Requirements to graduate from a full-time academic program may vary from program to program. A student must complete the number of credits required for their program and achieve the required minimum credential grade point average for all courses used to meet a student's credential requirements to graduate.

Transcripts (official vs unofficial)


A transcript is a complete academic record of achievement that shows everything you have taken at SAIT.

Official transcript

Official transcripts are intended for government applications, professional licensing and accreditation with licensing bodies, regulatory bodies, associations and applications to colleges and universities to further your education.

Unofficial transcript

An unofficial transcript is used for job applications, quick reference for personal use and various types of applications when official transcripts are required but not attainable due to unprecedented circumstances such as the global pandemic due to COVID-19.

Course-related terminology

Courses that must be completed as a requirement for registering in a particular course are known as prerequisites. Two or more courses that have to be taken simultaneously are known as corequisites.

Registering in a new course or adding a new course to your schedule is known as "add". Unregistering from a course is known as "drop".

For most programs, the first few days or weeks will allow you to make changes to your schedule (add/drop) without the changes being recorded on your transcript. If you drop a course after the add/drop without the changes being recorded on your transcript. If you drop a course after the add/drop deadline, it will be recorded as a "W" (withdrawal) on your transcript. Please ensure you are maintaining your status as an international student before you drop a course.

This refers to the period of time between the add/drop deadline and the date with which you can withdraw from your course without receiving an "F" for the course. A "W" will be recorded next to the course on your transcript to indicate that you have withdrawn from the course. No refunds are given for course withdrawals. For the most up-to-date information, please view our important dates.

"Major" indicates specialization and a large number of the total courses will be drawn from this area of study.

"Minor" indicates a lesser degree of specialization, with only a few courses drawn from the area of study (for example, a business major with a minor in music).

A co-op or practicum is a work placement that is a mandatory requirement of completing your program.


A letter of introduction is a document from IRCC which confirms the approval of a study permit (or another temporary resident status) and must be presented upon arrival at the port of entry to Canada. Please note this letter is not your study permit. The study permit will be issued at the port of entry following an inspection by the Canada Border Service Agency. Also known as a Port of Entry (POE) letter.

Immigration, refugees and citizenship Canada (IRCC) is a department of the Canadian Federal government that facilitates the arrival of immigrants, provides protection to refugees and offers programming to help newcomers settle in Canada—formerly known as CIC.

A foreign national who is permitted to enter and reside in Canada temporarily legally — may include students, workers and visitors — hold temporary resident status when physically inside of Canada.

An individual who has legally immigrated to Canada, and has been granted permanent resident status but is not a Canadian citizen.

Students studying in a country other than their country of citizenship or permanent residence are considered international students. In Canada, students who are foreign nationals are authorized to study in Canada on a temporary basis and typically require a study permit.

Canadian schools have been approved to accept international students, and students must have acceptance to a DLI in order to apply for a study permit. SAIT is a DLI with the following DLI #O18761749692

A study permit is a document issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) which allows a foreign national to legally study in Canada and outlines the conditions of their stay as a student.

A letter of acceptance is issued to applicants who have been offered a seat in a SAIT program and have paid a deposit to confirm their seat. This letter is needed to apply for a study permit.

Letters of enrolment are for current students, and confirm their current enrolment status at SAIT, and may be used to renew a study permit if necessary.

A requirement to enter Canada by air for foreign nationals from visa-exempt countries. The eTA is electronically linked to the passport for five years (or when the passport expires).

A counterfoil (sticker) placed inside the passport of a foreign national from a country that requires a visa in order to enter Canada. It is an entrance document that shows that the individual has met the requirements for admission to Canada as a temporary resident. Typically, students are issued a visa for multiple entries. Also commonly referred to as a TRV or visitor visa.

SAIT students are considered to be full-time for immigration purposes when enrolled in 60% of a full course load, or a minimum of nine credits.

Students are also considered to be full-time for immigration purposes when registered in their mandatory work placement (co-op/practicum/internship course)

SAIT students who are enrolled in less than 60% of a full course load or less than nine credits are considered to be part-time.

Breaks that are a part of SAIT's academic calendar and that are pre-scheduled as breaks for all students in a particular program and intake.

Please note that if a student decides to take a semester off, this is not considered to be a scheduled break by SAIT. Students cannot create their own scheduled breaks.

Most study permit holders are required to "actively pursue studies" as a condition of their study permit. This means maintaining full or part-time enrollment during each academic semester, making continual progress towards completing your program and not taking authorized leaves longer than 150 days from your program.

When a temporary resident applies to extend their permit of authorized stay before it ends, their period of stay is legally extended until a decision is made on the application. For example, when a student applies to extend their study permit before their current permit expires. If the study permit expires before a decision is made, individuals with maintained status may continue studying or working under the same conditions while waiting for a response (as long as they remain in Canada).

Restoration of status is a process required to restore a legal status (such as student status) within Canada if it has been 90 days or less since the status expired.

Some of the programs at SAIT involve students participating in a co-op or internship/practicum work placement You should apply it along with your initial study permit application, or 3- 4 months before your co-op term starts.

The co-op work permit will be issued for the same length as your study permit and will allow you to work for any institutions participating in the SAIT co-op program. In other words, you can only use this work permit to do the jobs approved by your co-op program that will grant you program credits. You cannot work full time for any other institutions or for any other purposes even your co-op work permit is still valid. Please note, you are responsible to track the number of hours you are working while in the practicum and ensure it doesn't exceed the number of hours as per your program expectation.

You might be simultaneously holding a co-op work permit and working up to 20 hours per week for off-campus jobs if you meet the eligibilities for both. However, you can only start to work full time once you receive your co-op work permit and the co-op employment period cannot exceed more than 50% of your study program.

Visit the IRCC website for further information about a co-op work permit.

Non-immigration related

Confirmation of enrolment

A confirmation of enrolment letter can be requested through your mysait.ca account and can be used to show proof of address when required, such as opening a bank account or applying for your Alberta Health Care card.

Contact us

International Centre

AA206, Heritage Hall, SAIT Main Campus

1.403.284.8852 international@sait.ca

Monday - Friday | 8 am - 4:30 pm