0 Recently Viewed Full-Time Program(s) Download Your Career and Program Guide

SAIT has government approval to accept international students during the current COVID-19 Pandemic.   

Working in Canada

International students are able to work in Canada while they are studying, provided they are registered as a full-time student at SAIT in a designated learning program. 

How do I know if I can work on or off-campus?

You can work on-campus if:

  • You have a valid study permit which lists a condition that says you are allowed to work on campus, and
  • You are currently enrolled in full-time studies or are on a scheduled break.

You can work off-campus if:

  • You have a valid study permit, which lists a condition that says you are allowed to work on or off-campus, and
  • You are enrolled as a full-time student in a program, which is at least six months long and leads to a degree, diploma or certificate
  • You have started your program - you can't work before your studies begin.
Can I work if I am enrolled in part-time studies?

No. The only exception is if you are enrolled in part-time studies and it is your final semester of your program and you were enrolled in full-time studies for your previous semesters.  

Please note that SAIT students enrolled in the Academic Upgrading or English Language Foundations are not allowed to work off-campus. 

What is a Social Insurance Number (SIN) and how can I get one?

A SIN is a 9 -digit number issued by the government which allows you to work in Canada. If you receive a job offer, you will need to present your employer with your SIN.  

You can obtain a SIN at a Service Canada location. You will need to bring your passport and valid study permit with you in order to obtain the SIN.   

What if my study permit does not say I can work?

If you weren’t previously eligible to work off-campus but now you have changed to a program that allows you to work off-campus (for example, you completed an English or Upgrading program, and are now starting a diploma , degree or certificate), you can apply to change the conditions of your study permit.  

You can apply to change the conditions of your study permit online from within Canada. This is the same process as extending your study permit, and costs $150. 

If you are eligible to work on campus but the condition is not noted on your study permit, you can submit an application to have your study permit amended by IRCC. This is a free paper application.  

If you are unsure if you need to request an amendment or apply for a change of conditions, please visit the International Centre to speak with an advisor.

Employment rights

As a full-time student, you may be allowed to work part-time (up to 20 hours per week during the
semester, full-time during scheduled breaks). In Alberta, you are protected by law as a worker by the Alberta Employment Standards Code. This sets out specific rules about working conditions that
employers must follow.

Before you begin working

Before you begin working, it’s a good idea to ask for an employment contract. This should describe your specific duties and expectations, as well as your rate of pay and hours of work. Be sure to review the contract carefully before you sign it. Your employer must also sign the contract. You should keep a copy of this contract for your own records. Also keep in mind that employers are required by law to obtain your SIN (Social Insurance Number) before you begin working.

Important working rights

Some of the important working rights that you should be aware of include:

  • Minimum wage – currently the minimum wage in Alberta is $15.00/hour (for most jobs)
  • Employees may work a maximum of 12 hours per day
  • Employees are entitled to at least 30 minutes of rest (break) in each shift longer than five consecutive hours
  • Employees are entitled to at least one day of rest per week
  • Employees are entitled to overtime pay if the total hours worked is greater than 8 hours per day or 44 hours per week. Overtime pay must be at least 1.5 times the employee’s regular wage
  • Employers must pay employees at least once per month
  • Employers must provide employees with a statement of earnings for each pay period, and must keep employment records for three years
  • Employees (both full-time and part-time) are entitled to annual vacation time and vacation pay. Employees must work for one year before they are entitled to vacation time. During the first four years of employment, employees are entitled to two weeks’ vacation time with pay
  • Both employees and employers must give each other notice of their intention to end

If you feel your employer has not met Alberta’s minimum employment standards and you cannot resolve the issue, you can file a complaint. For more information, you can also call the Employment
Standards Contact Centre toll-free at 1.877.427.3731.

Student Employment and Career Centre

Career readiness begins the moment you step foot on campus. SAIT’s Student Employment and Career Centre will help connect you with employers who are looking for great candidates — whether you are a current student, new grad or experienced alum.

Services offered include:

  • My Career Hub - access to our online job board so you can view employment opportunities
    available to SAIT students and alumni, including full-time, part-time, contract, summer,
    volunteer and work experience positions.
  • Labs, workshops and consultations – covering topics such as resume writing, interview
    preparation, creating an effective LinkedIn profile, networking tips and more.


Canada's Income Tax System

As an international student in Canada, it's important to understand your rights, entitlements,
and obligations under Canada's tax system. You are responsible for determining your income
tax status and making sure that you pay your required amount of taxes for each year according
to the law.

Canadian income tax is administered by the Canadian Revenue Agency (CRA). Income tax
returns need to be filed on or before April 30 for the year previous tax year.

Do international student need to file taxes?

The Canadian tax system is based on residency status, not citizenship. Your residency status will
determine your income tax filing requirements.

Most international students “file a tax return” (submit an income tax form to the government) - even if you are not working - as you may be eligible to receive tax credits (payment from the government). International students may have to pay Canadian income tax on income earned from employment, investment(s) and/or business income.

What documents are needed to file a tax return?

This list represents general documents and personal information that international students
may need to submit when filing their taxes to Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).

  • Social Insurance Number (SIN) or Individual Tax Number (ITN)
  • A Canadian mailing address
  • T2202A: Tuition and Education Form - available to download from your mysait.ca account
  • T4: Statement of earnings - usually received from your employer (if applicable)
  • T4A: Statement of scholarships, bursaries, pension, annuity and other income (if applicable)
  • RC-62: Universal childcare benefit statement (if applicable)
  • Charitable donations receipts (if applicable)
  • Medical and dental expenses that were not covered by your health insurance plan - receipt must have date and amount paid (if applicable)
Where can I get help to file my taxes?

There are many local organizations that will provide free tax assistance and clinics for eligible
individuals through Canada Revenue Agency's Community Volunteer Tax Program (CVITP). There are also many free tax clinics and resources in Calgary that can assist you – contact the
service provider to determine if you meet the eligibility requirements. 

Enter Your Search Term Here
Start typing to search SAIT.ca
Refine Results

Search results

Sait.ca Website Feedback

Hello, we'd love to hear your feedback about our website...

Would you like a response?*

Please answer the math question below.