Celebrate Open Education Week at SAIT
Open educational resources are accessible, shareable and can help reduce course material costs.
Open your mind to open source — get to know open educational resources during Open Education Week at SAIT. Attend events, stop by an information booth, catch a webinar and more, March 2 to 6.
What are open educational resources?
Open educational resources, or OER for short, are teaching, learning and research resources — textbooks, readings, multi-media files, software, assessment tools and even entire courses — that can be used, re-mixed and shared for free.
Five ways SAIT is onboard with OER:
- SAIT adopted one of the first institutional OER policies in Canada in 2018. The policy is designed to encourage and support the adoption, adaptation and creation of OER on campus.
- In 2019, SAIT published openly licensed materials for the first time: a new Applied Mathematics textbook and an adapted Business Communication for Success textbook.
- Saitsa created the Athena Award to celebrate instructors who demonstrate exemplary use of OER within a course. It will be awarded for the first time in April 2020.
- The adoption of an open source chemistry lab simulation at SAIT saved students approximately $270 per course.
- CORE courses for 1,400 students in psychology, sociology, philosophy and logic will transition to OER materials in Fall 2020.
Check this out
Over the last four years, OER projects saved more than 9,000 SAIT students $984,690 in textbook costs.