Boost your mood and beat the winter blahs
Well, it's February. If you're feeling a little down, you may have a case of the winter blahs. It's pretty common this month — the festive holiday break is behind us, daylight is still in short supply and the weather can make things seem a little bleak.
Smash the blahs — commit to one daily mood-boosting activity throughout the month. Check out the suggestions below or make your own 29 days of happiness calendar.
Feb. 1 to 8
- Feb. 1 Go for a 30-minute walk — if you get outside, notice nature!
- Feb. 2 Take a screen-time-out — put your phone down for an hour, you can do it.
- Feb. 3 Drop-by the Zen Den and recharge for 10 minutes, MB328, Stan Grad Centre.
- Feb. 4 Attend the Roadmap to Happiness workshop, 5 - 6 pm, MB228, Stan Grad Centre (FREE pizza!).
👉 DYK? It’s not that positive people have less difficulty, it’s that they try to focus on the positive aspects of the situation or move past difficulty more quickly. Learn how at the workshop! 👈
- Feb. 5 Pet a Puppy, 11:30 am - 12:30 pm, Reg Erhardt Library, Stan Grad Centre.
- Feb. 6 Discover your top three strengths: Take the free VIA Character Strengths Survey
- Feb. 7 Acknowledge what went well this week — little things count!
- Feb. 8 Wrap the week with a reward.
Feb. 9 to 16
- Feb. 9 Do something nice through a random act of kindness.
- Feb. 10 Soak up 20 minutes of natural light or visit the Bright Light Station at the Reg Erhardt Library, Stan Grad Centre.
☀️ DYK? Bright light can help with Seasonal Affective Disorder, insomnia, jet lag and sleep disruption caused by shift work. It can also be used simply to feel more energetic and positive on a dark winter morning. ☀️
- Feb. 11 Attend Mindful Moments, 12:15 - 12:45 pm, NL102, Senator Burns building.
- Feb. 12 Get a FREE massage, courtesy Saitsa, 1:30 - 3:30 pm, Irene Lewis Atrium, Stan Grad Centre.
- Feb. 13 Go to bed 30 minutes earlier tonight.
- Feb. 14 It's Friendship Friday — join in, NJ105, Saitsa Peer Support Centre.
- Feb. 15 Connect or re-connect with a friend.
- Feb. 16 Make a list — what do you want to accomplish over reading week?
Feb. 17 to 24
- Feb. 17 Watch Kristen Neff’s TED Talk on Self-Compassion.
- Feb. 18 Share a smile with someone you meet.
- Feb. 19 Grab a free breakfast at the Saitsa Resource Centre, MC107, Stan Grad Centre.
- Feb. 20 Get moving! Try a fitness class.
- Feb. 21 Make a happy playlist.
- Feb. 22 Check out a new park — Calgary has lots!
- Feb. 23 Cook your favourite meal.
- Feb. 24 Post something positive to your social feed for your friends.
Feb. 25 to 29
- Feb. 25 Attend Stress Less: Relaxation Tips and Tricks, 5 - 6 pm, MB225, Stan Grad Centre (FREE pizza!).
- Feb. 26 Try out Smudge and Yoga, noon - 1:30 pm, NN108, Chinook Lodge Resource Centre, Senator Burns building.
😃 DYK? There's a movie about happiness. Watch Happy from 4 - 6 pm, Begin Tower Residence. 😃
- Feb. 27 Join the Conversation Club, 5 - 6 pm, Reg Erhardt Library, Stan Grad Centre.
- Feb. 28 Reward yourself by watching an hour comedy show.
- Feb. 29 Take a one-hour guilt-free break and commit to one daily happiness practice.