Get your finances into shape
Money matters. Healthy finances can help you feel organized, and both avoid and manage stress.
Invest some time in mastering your money. Start now with some quick tips from SAIT's Financial Advising team.
As a student, you might not be able to live the lifestyle of your dreams right now. But that's okay, your education will get you there faster.
Avoid credit you can't afford
If you use a credit card, pay it off in full every month — if you don't, you're probably paying at least 50% more for everything you buy because of interest.
Create a budget
- Money in Record income from all sources.
- Money out List and track expenses.
- Evaluate Do you need more income/fewer expenses?
- Repeat Follow this process monthly.
Keep money in your wallet
- Wait to buy things when they're on sale.
- Create a meal plan for the week.
- Look for student discounts.
You have nothing to lose by saving
If you think you can afford an increase in your expenses, try it out before committing and save the difference. Besides, you'll be better prepared if you're hit with an unexpected expense.
Get help sooner rather than later
If you have questions about your finances or if you're struggling with money, you're not the first and you're not alone. Financial Advising is here to help — talk to an advisor.
Financial challenges during COVID-19
The COVID-19 pandemic has brought additional financial challenges to many students. Support is available.
If you're a current SAIT student experiencing financial hardship, we may be able to help. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
External emergency funding options:
- Government of Alberta
- Government of Canada - Canada Emergency Student Benefit
- Government of Canada – EI Benefits
- Government of Canada – Emergency Response Benefit