Tips to jump start your job huntSeptember 24, 2018
When going after a new job, give yourself an edge over the competition. Here are five things to do before you hit "submit" on your resume.
- Clean up your (digital) act. Delete goofy posts you wouldn't want your new employer to see and lock down your privacy settings on social feeds that aren't business related. Google yourself. It's amazing what a prospective boss can learn with just a few minutes of research.
- Use LinkedIn. Like really use it. This includes beefing up all elements of your profile, connecting with others in your field for greater reach (the bigger your network, the better your chances for finding job leads), and posting a polished photograph. Tip: There are powerful analytics you can access through LinkedIn to boost your chance of success.
- Follow the company you're interested in — through LinkedIn and other social platforms. It's a small thing, but companies will check to see if you're connected to them in some way.
- Tailor your resume and cover letter. A generic "to whom it may concern" won't land the job like knowing the name of the head of HR, or including key words in your accomplishments that relate to the role you're after.
- Access services at SAIT. From free group workshops to one-on-one career counselling, SAIT has services to help you get on track. Alumni have free access, but all members of the public are welcome.
Related Success Stories