Process Operations Lab
The conceptual “Process Operations Lab” refers to space and equipment that supports process engineering capabilities available within the Enerplus Centre for Innovation.
Research area and purpose
The Environmental Technologies research division utilizes process engineering capabilities at the Enerplus Centre to develop prototype pilot systems in collaboration with applied research and industry partners.
Process operations prototype systems include
- Electrodialysis pilot water treatment for water desalination
- Ceramic membrane filtration to remove suspended solids, turbidity, oil and grease,and organic carbon from produced water
- Reverse osmosis filtration to produce pure water for drinking, industrial steam boilers, etc.
- Fractional distillation to separate components within a liquid mixture using evaporation and condensation
- Advanced oxidation processes to reduce total organic carbon and related contaminants, and remove pathogens.
Additional specialized equipment is available for chemical vapour deposition (CVD), plasma-enhanced CVD, and atomic layer deposition to create a variety of thin film layers/coatings for industrial and research applications.
Wet Process Lab
- 14’ x 20’ Working Area
- Multiple voltage receptacles: 110 to 480V 60Hz (single and 3 phase)
- Compressed air line, N2 line, DI/RO Water line (Class 2), tap water line
- Data Network line
- Ventilation system
Process Analytical/Chemical Testing Bench Lab
- 14’ x 20’ Working area
- Plasma Enhanced – Chemical and Atomic deposition equipment
- UV-AOP system
- Multiple Skidded systems for H2S removal and water treatment
- Solid Oxide Fuel Cell (SOFC)
- XRD/XRF for Soil and sand analyses
- Low-Range Hardness Analyzer, 50 to 10,000 micrograms/L
- Multiple steam and water analyzers, including analyses
- Advanced Mobile Labs
- Centre for Innovative Information Technology Solutions
- Chemical and Environmental Analysis Lab
- Composites Fabrication Lab
- Enerplus Centre for Innovation
- Green Building Technology Lab
- Industry Innovation Labs
- Kinetica Innovation Centre
- Materials Testing Lab
- Process Operations Lab
- SAIT RFID Test Lab
- Solar Lab Green Building Technologies
- Solar Roller
- Solids Modeling Lab
- Technology Demonstration Hall