0 Recently Viewed Full-Time Program(s) Download Your Career and Program Guide

SAIT Small Logo

Employment Survey Methodology

Graduate Employment Survey 2015

Purpose:

To determine the extent to which graduates from SAIT programs find employment, the type of employment and the level of starting salaries.

Timing:

A survey of 2014/15 graduates was conducted between February 1 and April 25, 2016. Information was obtained from 3,056 credit program graduates (out of 4,378 credit graduate records), constituting a 70% response rate. In addition, the survey was conducted with 218 pre-employment graduates (out of 325 preemployment graduate records), resulting in a 67% response rate.

Database:

A list of 2014/15 graduates from SAIT programs was generated from Banner. Besides the graduate's name, information on program finished, contact telephone number and email address were provided. Overall, the database included records on 4,703 graduates.

Conduct:

To compile the 2015 employment statistics, SAIT retained the services of NRG Research Group, an independent market research company. The survey was conducted by using a multimode data collection methodology - telephone and online. Results were collected only online for the first two weeks of the study and then telephone surveying was used for those who had yet to respond. The two modes were conducted simultaneously for the remainder of the study, with over one-half (55%) being collected by phone and the remaining 45% collected online.

The margin of error overall is equal to plus or minus 0.94 percentage points at the 95% confidence level, finite population corrector factor applied. Telephone directories, internet searches, directory assistance and Facebook profiles were used to locate contact, where needed. A minimum of 10 telephone attempts were used to make an initial contact with the graduate and eight email reminders were sent during the course of the study. 

Analysis:

The data was inputted into a database and analyzed. Survey results of those who responded to the survey were subsequently extrapolated to the entire population of graduates/completers. Caution should be used when examining results by programs with fewer than 30 graduates. With smaller base sizes, the percentages may offer a distorted picture when one respondent represents more than 3% of the total respondent base.

Definitions used:

In Labour Force - graduates who are employed or unemployed but looking for work.

Employed - graduates employed at the time of the survey, or had been employed prior to the survey for three or more months.

Employment rate - the number of employed graduates as a percentage of all those graduates that responded to the survey and were in labour force.

Full-time employment - 30 or more hours of work per week.

Permanent employment - the number of graduates employed in permanent jobs.

Annualized salary - graduates were given a choice to provide salary information in a form of annual or monthly income, daily or weekly earnings or hourly wages. If the student provided this info in a unit other than the annual salary, the following calculations were used to derive respondents' annualized salaries in full-time jobs:

  • Hourly wage X (hours worked per week) X 52
  • Daily wage X 5 (days a week) X 52
  • Weekly salary X 52
  • Bi-weekly salary X 26
  • Monthly salary X 12

Note: All salaries above $100,000 per year and below $10,000 per year were verified with the respondent.

See the results by academic school and program: