Changing and Laddering Programs
Learn more about the internal agreement options available to SAIT students.
Certificate to diploma to degree
Once you've completed specific SAIT certificate or diploma programs, you may be able to transfer into a diploma or degree to continue your education.
To transfer, you must apply to the diploma or degree program and select "Full-time Transfer" as your application type. You must also meet the admission requirements, which may include completing a certificate or diploma.
You're expected to complete the graduation requirements of a program:
- within five years of starting a certificate, graduate certificate, post-diploma certificate or certificate of achievement,
- within seven years of beginning a diploma or applied degree,
- and within 10 years of starting a baccalaureate.
This time limitation begins when you start the first course in the credential. Under significant extenuating circumstances, the vice president, academic, in consultation with the dean and the registrar, may approve your request to extend the program completion time.
Explore our transfer agreements to SAIT programs to see which SAIT certificates and diplomas are eligible to transfer.
SAIT to SAIT course equivalency
You may request that the academic chair/coordinator responsible for the course you're registered in assess another SAIT course(s) for equivalency at any time before the mid-point of the course for which you seek equivalency.
If you are registered in the course for which equivalency is being sought, and you want a tuition refund, you must request the determination of equivalency before the end of the add/drop period (or the cancellation deadline, in the case of a continuing education course) for that course.
The add/drop deadline is based on the number of weeks you're registered for a term. You must submit your application by your program's add/drop deadline to be eligible for a tuition refund.
Refer to policy AC.3.18.1 Recognition of Prior Learning — Credit Courses for more information about transferring course credits.
If you're a returning SAIT student (you completed at least 50% of your first term courses) and wish to switch to a different program, this is called a program transfer.
You're able to do a program transfer if you meet the following:
- it is during the official add/drop period of the academic semester (with no break in attendance)
- if space is available in the program
- if you've met the admission requirements for the new program
- if you've obtained the approval (signature) of both academic chairs/coordinators involved in the transfer
Once you've met the above requirements and approvals, you must submit a program transfer form to the Office of the Registrar and pay the transfer fee and any difference in tuition fees arising from the transfer.
SAIT has partnered with local school boards and industry partners to offer several dual-credit programs for Grades 11 and 12 high school students.
Designed to keep students engaged in learning, dual-credit opportunities allow high school students to simultaneously graduate with their diplomas and a post-secondary course or program. SAIT dual-credit courses are offered at no cost.
If you've been accepted into a SAIT program, you can have your dual-credit program applied in one of the following ways:
- If you've taken a dual-credit program at SAIT, contact the academic chair for the program you have applied to receive either SAIT to SAIT equivalency or if a grad adjustment is required.
- If you've taken a dual-credit program outside of SAIT, follow the transfer options application process.