On this page:
Want to build and launch innovative products that provide users with a delightful digital experience? User experience (UX) design is an emerging and in-demand role in Alberta — now is the perfect time to upskill or discover new career opportunities.
Through hands-on, experiential learning, you’ll discover what it’s like to work on a product team by collaborating on a capstone project with real-world clients. Graduates will leave with a diverse portfolio, showcasing digital skills and design stories to employers.
User experience is becoming more important than ever as companies realize that creating an accessible and positive user experience for their products and services is vital for organizational success and gaining a competitive advantage in a highly competitive marketplace. This is reflected in Alberta's current demand for user experience designers in almost every industry – media, telecom, insurance, healthcare, financial services, transportation, retail, education, government and more.
An emerging role in technical teams, UX designers work as part of a team with product managers and technical resources to create delightful experiences.
In this immersive 12-week program, you will use design thinking and apply your UX skills by working directly with a product manager and a software development team — in an agile setting — to build a technical product that solves real problems for a real client.
Graduates of this program will come away with a foundation in UX design and the ability to add immediate value, with an in-depth understanding of the role of UX and the collaborative nature of working within a product team.
On this podcast episode, we talk to Senior UX Designer, Emilie Mazurek, to explore the importance of user experience (UX) design — and the key role that UX designers play on teams across almost all industries. As organizations invest in UX designers, this conversation highlights the significance of embracing innovative technologies and a growth mindset.
This bootcamp will help you develop the following skills:
- design fundamentals
- psychology fundamentals
- understanding user vs. business needs
- human-centred design
- problem framing and prioritization techniques
- finding and reporting insights
- UX research and documentation
- viable solutions (people, business and tech)
- User Interface (UI) design fundamentals.
- UX/UI tools
- preventing scope creep and improving focus
- solution techniques
- story mapping
- design systems for the product
- usability testing
- validating and reframing insights.
- communications for high-performing teams
- agile mindset and methods.
Becoming a UX designer is an attainable goal.
If you're looking for work, our career services team will help you find a job, interview and position yourself as a key team member.
- awareness of potential roles and opportunities and additional skills needed to pursue other complementary/specialized roles.
- strategies and tactics to search for and connect with relevant employment opportunities.
- resume writing, interviewing, and personal branding.
- creation of a unique digital portfolio of work demonstrating skills in program competencies.
- networking through guest speakers, panel discussions, industry events and industry projects.
- opportunities to connect with local organizations with mature UX practices and local experts with experience in the field.
Our team of Talent and Career Specialists will work with you to find the right program and help you through the application process.
To begin, connect with us, and an advisor will contact you within the next business day.
This program is best suited to applicants with the following skills and mindset:
- early to mid-career worker with some professional experience
- digitally literate, comfortable with technology
- growth mindset
- comfortable working cross-functionally and presenting information to many teams
While not required, this program is particularly suited to people with a background in advertising, communications, marketing, web or app development, customer service or hospitality.
Proof of English proficiency is required.
No coding or programming experience is needed.
Start dates: May 4, 2024
Enrolment deadline: May 2, 2024
2023/24 tuition and fees
The Applied User Experience Design Bootcamp course fee is $3,750.
Funding may be available to SAIT alumni or students with financial barriers. Please contact email@example.com to learn more about funding options.
This program is offered part-time evenings and weekends — allowing you to continue your job search or learn while working.
Classes run on Tuesday evening, Thursday evening, every other Wednesday evening and Saturday morning.
This is a 12-week immersive, hands-on program:
- There will be about four to six hours per week of self-learning, combined with nine hours of in-class theory and hands-on project work.
- Includes project work where you consolidate your knowledge and skillsets to complete a project with a product manager.
- You'll build a unique, rich and differentiated professional UX design portfolio to showcase your capabilities, mindset, and skillsets in research, critical thinking, problem-solving, communication and collaboration.
Prepare for a strong start in your chosen program or get the details you need to decide your future path.
Our expert staff and faculty are ready to answer your questions and provide information about the following:
- What sets SAIT apart
- An introduction to the program and area of study
- Admission requirements
- Future career paths
- Information on the earning potential and graduate employment rates.