Designed for students in Grades 6 – 10, this workshop will explore the security measures to protect our privacy and information in our increasingly interconnected society. Students can explore their digital footprint and see how safe their information is. Students will also build and utilize digital signatures to send encrypted messages through the internet that only they can decipher.
Please note: If we are coming to your school, students must have access to a computer to participate in the workshop. Teachers are encouraged to utilize space with access to a projector, so students can follow the workshop while working on their devices.
Workshop objectives and outcomes:
- Awareness of why cybersecurity is important in our day-to-day lives.
- Understand basic concepts in cybersecurity such as digital signatures and encryption.
- Learn how encryption is applied in common digital tasks and activities.
- Send and receive an encrypted email.
- I can define "digital citizenship".
- I can define “cybersecurity".
- I can define “encryption".
- I can use basic encryption software.
- I understand where and how cybersecurity principles can be applied in multiple scenarios.
- I am aware of career pathways in information technology and cybersecurity.