Dual-Credit Healthcare Career Essentials
Designed for: students in Grades 11 and 12
Length: 4 months
Prepare to enter the healthcare field, explore topics relating to medical terminology, infection control, anatomy and physiology, and gain hands-on experience in our medical simulation lab.
This program will help prepare students to enter the healthcare field. They will develop knowledge of medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, and use our technology-enriched medical labs to learn applied skills in infection prevention and control.
Is this the right fit for me?
This program is the right fit for students in Grade 11 or 12 who:
- have strong communication skills and who are comfortable interacting with a variety of clients
- can respond well in stressful situations
- can concentrate on detailed work, who are patient and who can problem-solve.
Upon successful completion of this program, course credits earned in this program may also count toward other healthcare programs at SAIT. In addition, students may be eligible to apply for transfer credit at a variety of other post-secondary institutions.
- Dual-Credit Healthcare Career Essentials is offered over one semester.
- Requires a commitment of four mornings per week at the SAIT campus (Monday through Thursday, plus approximately two additional Friday mornings) throughout the program.
In order to be successful in this SAIT program, students are recommended to be on track to successfully pass the following courses or equivalents with an overall average of at least 60%
- Math 30-1 or Math 30-2
- English Language Arts 30-1 or English Language Arts 30-2
- Biology 20 or 30 and
- Chemistry 20
There may be other pre-requisite or co-requisites required by the school board for admission into this dual-credit program. Check with your local school board for further information.
To qualify for graduation from SAIT, students must pass all courses, attain a CGPA of 2.0 or better and complete the course requirements within the prescribed timelines.
|Course Code||Course Name|
|MEDT-211||Medical Terminology I|
|INFC-215||Infection Prevention & Control|
|ANPH-209||Anatomy & Physiology|
|MSIM-001||Medical Simulation Lab|
Students who complete the dual-credit Healthcare Career Essentials program are eligible to earn:
- up to 20 high school credits
- a SAIT certificate of achievement
Pathways to post-secondary
The skills explored in this program can lead to many different career pathways, including:
- diagnostic imaging
- respiratory therapy
- dental assisting