Centre for Innovation and Research in Unmanned Systems
As organizations across all sectors explore the applications and capabilities of unmanned systems, SAIT is supporting innovation and new technology development through its Centre for Innovation and Research in Unmanned Systems (CIRUS). Researchers with SAIT's Applied Research and Innovation Services department, faculty from SAIT's School of Construction, students and industry partners converge in this cross-disciplinary environment to address challenges, create efficiencies, and develop and test new products and applications.
CIRUS will expand the role unmanned systems play in data acquisition and management, and create organizational efficiencies across a variety of sectors and regulatory environments.
- Construction management
- Building scanning and modeling
- Health and safety inspection
- Oilfield facilities inspection
- Beyond visual line of sight applications for utility and transportation corridors
Environmental Assessment and Management
- Flood risk assessment
- Oil and gas leak detection
- Greenhouse-gas emissions detection and Flux modeling
- RFID-enabled unmanned systems for herd management
- Film and videography
- Search and rescue
- Developing customized platforms and sensors
- Developing solutions customized for client-specific applications
- Discovering innovative applications of unmanned systems technologies
- Testing and validation of novel products
The expertise available through CIRUS is diverse, with all researchers and faculty contributing their own unique skills and experiences. SAIT is also engaging several of Alberta's leading colleges, allowing us to draw on an even greater pool of expertise when needed.