Get a head start on getting hired with a great resumé
It's week seven of your First8 at SAIT and it's never too early to start building a resumé that gets noticed.
Make your first move with these tips from SAIT's Student Employment and Career Centre:
- Get on My Career Hub - not only will you find an inventory of job opportunities, there's a resumé builder template that can help kick things off.
- Start looking at job postings in your industry to get an idea of what your future employers are after - or follow prospective companies on social media. Both job postings and social content are full of keywords and hints on what to highlight on your resumé.
- Get involved and get skills - skills your next boss will be looking to leverage in the workplace. Checking out Co-Curricular Record opportunities and attending industry and networking events on campus are a great way to start.
- Connect with the experts in making connections at a networking panel discussion presented by The BOWEN Group on Oct. 9
- No formal work experience? Talk about current/past school projects on your resumé. Things like capstone projects and practicum experience are great for demonstrating the hands-on experience you've gained as a student.
- Take it online. If you don't have a LinkedIn profile, get one - 98% of companies now use LinkedIn for recruiting. Connecting with instructors and classmates on LinkedIn also helps build your career network.
- Get a professional profile pic at the LinkedIn Photoshoot on Oct. 12
- Always tailor your resumé and cover letter to the position you're applying for.
The Student Employment and Career Centre can help you get hired. Register for workshops, consultations and events on My Career Hub:
- Resumé and Cover Letter Writing | 10 - 10:50 am, MC209, Stan Grad Centre
- Interview Strategies | 11 - 11:50 am, MC209, Stan Grad Centre
- LinkedIn for Job Search | 12 - 12:50 pm in MC209, Stan Grad Centre
- Networking panel discussion, brought to you by The BOWEN Group: 4 - 5:30 pm in Symposium Room, Campus Centre
- LinkedIn for Job Search | 10 - 10:50 am, MC209, Stan Grad Centre
- Resumé and Cover Letter Writing | 11 - 11:50 am, MC209, Stan Grad Centre
- Interview Strategies | 12 - 12:50 pm in MC209, Stan Grad Centre
- Overcoming Interview Challenges Meetup | 1 - 2 pm in AA127, Heritage Hall
- Interview Strategies | 4 - 4:50 pm, NH309, Senator Burns building
- Resumé and Cover Letter Writing | 5 - 5:50 pm, NH309, Senator Burns building
- LinkedIn for Job Search | 6 - 6:50 pm, NH309, Senator Burns building
- LinkedIn Photoshoot | 10 am to 2 pm, MB205, Stan Grad Centre
Advice from #SAIT students
“Take advantage of the employment services at SAIT. They have a job board exclusive to students and SAIT alumni.”
“Attend networking events! I landed a job in my field during second semester going to one.”