Fall 2016 start: applications are accepted Oct. 21, 2015 to March 1, 2016.
The Legal Assistant diploma is a two-year laptop-based program designed to prepare students for the in-demand field of legal support services and the many employment opportunities available for legal assistants. Legal assistants are highly skilled administrators who work closely with lawyers on a wide variety of legal matters.
Students will receive extensive training in oral and written communications, transcription, keyboarding, computer applications with a focus on legal document preparation, a variety of specialized legal software, and law office procedures. In addition, students take substantive law courses in many areas of law, including: corporate, criminal, family, litigation, real estate, and wills and estates. Faculty bring extensive experience as lawyers and legal assistants and offer students a highly practical and technologically-enriched learning experience. The capstone course is a law office simulation which integrates all of the legal administrative and substantive law courses.
At the end of the second year, students complete a four-week unpaid practicum in a law office or similar legal environment to gain valuable industry experience.
Graduates find work as legal assistants, paralegals, judicial clerks and other legal support roles. Employment opportunities are available in law firms, the court system, registries, and with businesses such as oil and gas corporations.
- Graduates of the Legal Assistant program have a 96% employment rate.
To achieve success in this program, students should:
- Attend and actively participate in class
- Spend six hours per week on each course, outside of regular class time
- Have a strong command of the English language along with a solid foundation in writing skills and vocabulary, which will be further developed in the program
- Have good organizational skills and attention to detail, as these skills are essential to success in the program and as a Legal Assistant
- Have strong computer skills and a keyboarding speed of 30 words per minute (strongly recommended)
- Be prepared to work in teams
- Become familiar with and adhere to SAIT's academic policies
- Students who are engaged and take advantage of SAIT services and resources usually experience more success in SAIT's programs