Emergency Medical Technician
- Emergency Medical Responder (176-hour certificate of achievement)
- Emergency Medical Technician (10-month certificate program)
- Emergency Medical Technology - Paramedic (two-year diploma)
The Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) program provides education and training for pre-hospital care professionals and prepares them to work within a multi-discipline healthcare team. This program is taught by experienced practitioners and covers all aspects of pre-hospital emergency care including Advanced Life Support assist, patient assessment, diagnostics, treatment and critical interventions.
The Emergency Medical Technician program is a competency-based, blended-delivery program which includes face-to-face and online learning components. Students must be motivated and organized as this program is fast-paced and requires a significant contribution of time to be successful.
Students will be required to:
- Attend an orientation session.
- Complete all work as assigned.
- Attend mandatory class days for theory and psychomotor skills acquisition practice.
- Attend full-time one clinical (hospital and/or urgent care based) practicum and one ambulance-specific practicum to apply the theory and skills learned under the direct supervision of a preceptor.
Note: Students may have to travel to rural Alberta to complete their practica based on practicum spot availability.
This program is offered in Calgary at SAIT Polytechnic.
The successful completion of the Emergency Medical Technician program is a requirement for continuing into the Emergency Medical Technology - Paramedic (EMT-P) program.
Graduates are prepared for careers in emergency medical services or on industrial sites in rural and urban settings throughout Canada, as well as internationally.
- Graduates of the Emergency Medical Technician program have a 91% employment rate.
- Students with higher secondary or post-secondary marks usually experience greater success in SAIT programs.
- Students who experience success in this program have effective communication skills in English.
- Health care practitioners are detail-oriented in the care they provide and enjoy working in a team environment.
- The student must be a highly motivated and well-organized individual to succeed in this self-directed, non-traditional delivery model.