Emergency Medical Technician
- 10-month certificate
- Program offered in Calgary
- Fall start
- Includes community-based workplace experience and ambulance practica
- Blended delivery with online and face-to-face components
- Emergency Medical Responder (176-hour certificate of achievement)
- Emergency Medical Technician (10-month certificate program)
- Emergency Medical Technology - Paramedic (two-year diploma)
The Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) program provides education and training for pre-hospital care professionals and prepares them to work within a multi-discipline healthcare team. This program is taught by experienced practitioners and covers all aspects of pre-hospital emergency care including Advanced Life Support (ALS) assistance, patient assessment, diagnostics, treatment and critical interventions.
The Emergency Medical Technician program is a competency-based, blended-delivery program which includes face-to-face and on-line learning components. Students must be motivated and organized as this program is fast-paced and requires a significant contribution of time to be successful.
Students will be required to:
- Attend an orientation session.
- Complete all work as assigned.
- Attend mandatory class days for theory and psychomotor skills acquisition practice.
- Attend full-time one clinical (hospital and/or urgent care based) practicum and one ambulance-specific practicum to apply the theory and skills learned under the direct supervision of a preceptor.
Note: Students may have to travel to rural Alberta to complete their practica based on practicum spot availability.
This program is offered in Calgary at SAIT.
The EMT program is a requirement for continuing into the Emergency Medical Technology - Paramedic (EMT-P) program.
Graduates are prepared for careers in emergency medical services or on industrial sites in rural and urban settings throughout Canada, as well as internationally.
- Find out the latest graduate employment rates.
- Students with higher secondary or post-secondary marks usually experience greater success in SAIT programs.
- Students who experience success in this program have effective communication skills in English.
- Health care practitioners are detail-oriented in the care they provide and enjoy working in a team environment.
- The student must be a highly motivated and well-organized individual to succeed in this self-directed, non-traditional delivery model.