International Students

SAIT has welcomed international students from over 156 countries to our campus of 13,900 full-time students. International Students study in programs in all of our schools. Join us! 

How to Apply


SAIT's programs of advanced technology are very popular and classes tend to fill up quickly. It is recommended that students apply well in advance. Applications will be accepted starting on the following dates:

  • Winter 2017 (January-April)
    Applications Open: June 1, 2016
  • Spring 2017 (May-August)
    Applications open: Oct. 19, 2016
  • Fall 2017 (September-December)
    Applications open: Oct. 19, 2016
  • You may apply to more than one program but a separate application and fee are required for each.
  • If your application is on a waitlist for the September intake (beginning of the academic year), you may request to transfer it to the January or May intake of the same academic year. 
  • Applications are accepted for each intake up until classes begin for most programs, but it is best to apply early as many programs offer early admission and/or continuous selection.

Application Process

Step 1: Apply Online

Choose a Program and Apply online at ApplyAlberta, each online application is $50

Step 2: Apply for WES evaluation for International Document Assessment 

Visit WES Canada-SAIT to apply for an International Credential Advantage Package (ICAP). The fee for an ICAP is $245, and WES guarantees results within one week, providing all of the necessary documentation is included.

To ensure a complete assessment, submit all levels of education to WES, including high school documents.

Once your WES evaluation has been completed, your ICAP package will be forwarded electronically to SAIT on your behalf. If you included high school documents, SAIT will assess the authenticated documents provided by WES to determine the equivalent Alberta high school subjects and grades.

Step 3: English Language Proficiency for all SAIT programs

All applicants to SAIT must demonstrate English Language Proficiency prior to admission, including students educated in Canada. English language proficiency is a requirement for all SAIT programs. Applicants can demonstration English proficiency in the following ways:

  • Successful completion of English, at the required level, as outlined in the individual program descriptions, including a minimum of three years of education at an English speaking Canadian school or at a recognized International English speaking school
  • Successful completion, at the required level, of a post-secondary English or Communications course for which SAIT awards transfer credit, including a minimum of three years of education at an English speaking Canadian School or at a recognized International English speaking school.
  • Successful completion of SAIT's English Language Foundations Level 5 or a recognized alternate. SAIT has agreed to also accept the following as equivalent to ELF Level 5:
  • Successfully complete assessment testing in one of the following:
Common English Tests Direct Entry Admission Requirements
Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) 80 Internet-Based Test (IBT), with 20 in each category
International English Language Testing System (IELTS) 6.0 in each skill
Canadian Language Benchmark  Assessment (CLBA) 8.0 in all sections
Canadian Academic English Language Assessment (CAEL) 60 in overall band
Pearson Test of English (PTE) Minimum 53
Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB) Required score of 76


Please note: Tests are valid for a one year period from date of issue. If you are not qualified to enter your academic career program at this time, we will contact you to submit an application to SAIT's English Language Foundations (ELF) program. For further information, please visit English Language Foundations website.

Step 4: Schedule a Canadian Language Benchmarks Assessment (CLBA) test at SAIT

Students accepted into English Language Foundations (ELF) are required to book their CLBA test by contacting ELF at 1.403.210.4045 or

Please note: Students must arrive at SAIT approximately two weeks prior to class start in order to adjust to Calgary and take your CLBA test.

Step 5: Pay tuition deposit/confirmation fee

Once you are offered a seat in a program, you will be sent an offer letter requesting that you pay a non-refundable fee of $250 CDN within four weeks to confirm your seat. Your seat will be replaced if the tuition deposit is not received by the noted deadline on your offer letter.

Please note: Tuition deposits are non-refundable and non-transferable if you wish to cancel the program you were selected for. Please visit Tuition, Fees and Refunds.

Step 6: Applying for a study permit

Once the Confirmation fee is paid, you will receive the Confirmation letter and information form to take to the Canadian Embassy in your country to apply for a study permit and temporary resident visa (if required).

Step 7: Payment of Registration fees

Approximately two months prior to the start date of the semester, you will receive a registration letter regarding payment of your first semester tuition fees that are due on or before the date indicated in your letter. Payment of these tuition fees confirms your attendance into your program.


International Student Fees

Please note: These fees are subject to change.

Tuition fees per semester (four months) (approximate)

All full-time programs $5,550 - $11,000 (depending on program)
English Language Foundations (ELF) $2,628 per eight-week session

Please see the International Tuition Fee table* for estimated fees for each program
* All tuition fees are listed in Canadian dollars and are subject to change without notice.

Other fees

Books, lab materials $200 - $1,000 per semester (depending on program)
Campus recreational/athletic fee $80 per semester
Laptop deposit $400**
Student Association fee $149 per semester
Transit pass (unlimted use of public transit) $130 per semester
Health plan $125 per academic year
Dental plan $110 per academic year

**Not applicable to all programs

Tuition Fee Payment

Final balance of tuition is due four weeks prior to the start of classes for fall, winter, and spring. To pay the tuition, please indicate the student's full name and SAIT ID number with payment. The confirmation fee of $250 is due within four weeks of the date of your offer is made. Your seat will be replaced if the tuition deposit is not received by the noted deadline on your offer letter.

The following payment methods are available:

  • Visa and MasterCard (phone,
  • Cash (in person only)
  • Certified Cheque (by mail)
  • Bank Draft (by mail)
  • Bank Transfer

Studying in Canada

International students who are not Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada require a study permit issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) to study in a program that is longer than six months.

Some students may also require a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) in order to enter the country. Please check the CIC website to see if you require a visa.

Applying for your initial study permit

Once you have received your confirmation letter and accompanying documentation from the CIC, you can start the application process for your study permit. 

Click here for a list of Canada Visa Offices and find your home country on the list and click on the link in the middle column. On the next page, click on the link to the website and this will take you to the Canada Visa Office home page. From there, you will select "Visas and Immigration" from the menu on the left and then select the "study" option.

Follow these five key steps to avoid delays in your study permit application:

1. Apply online or through a Visa Application Centre (VAC)

  • If you have access to the internet, a scanner or camera and a credit card, you will be able to fill out and submit your application online
  • If a VAC is located in your country, consider using its services

2. Apply early!

  • Apply early to avoid delays in the processing of your study permit. You should look to apply four to six months prior to the start of classes.
  • Check average processing times

3. Get your medical exam as soon as possible

  • Some international students require a medical examination, dependent on the country of residence of the applicant in the year preceding the date you sought entry to Canada. Refer to CIC's full list of countries that require a medical examination.

4. Submit all of the required documents and ensure that your documents are complete

  • If information is missing, your application will be returned
  • Check the visa office of the country or region where you live to see if additional documents are required

5. Ensure that you pay the proper fee

  • Failure to pay the correct fee or not pay when required can delay processing and/or result in a negative decision for your application

Renewing your study permit

Your study permit may expire before you complete your program. In this case, you will need to renew your study permit.

In order to renew your study permit, you will need to ensure that you have a MyCIC account
Once you have logged in to your MyCIC account, you will be able to complete the eligibility questionnaire to generate the application package. You will require the following documents to submit with your application:

  • Completed application form
  • Copy of your passport bio page and any pages that have entrance stamps in to Canada and your TRV (if applicable)
  • Proof of finances
  • Digital photograph
  • Confirmation letter from the International Centre

You should renew your study permit at least three months prior to its expiry date.

Working in Canada

International students are able to work in Canada whilst they study, provided they are registered as a full-time student at SAIT. 

Working on Campus

To be eligible to work on campus, a student must be registered in full-time classes and have a valid study permit. You must get a confirmation letter from the International Centre to confirm your eligibility to work on campus. You may work for a maximum of 20 hours per week during regular academic sessions and full-time during scheduled breaks.

Working on campus means working on the SAIT campus. Please visit the International Centre for a full list of on-campus employers.

Working off Campus

Study permit holders in Canada may gain work experience by working off campus while completing their studies. 

As of June 1, 2014, you may qualify to work off campus without a work permit. If you qualify, your study permit will allow you to work up to 20 hours per week:

  • during regular academic sessions and
  • full-time during scheduled breaks, such as the winter and summer holidays or spring break.

To qualify, you must:

  • have a valid study permit,
  • be a full-time student,
  • be enrolled at a designated learning institution at the post-secondary level or, in Quebec, a vocational program at the secondary level, and
  • be studying in an academic, vocational or professional training program that leads to a degree, diploma or certificate that is at least six months in duration.

Visit the CIC's website for further information about working off-campus.

Co-Op Work Permit

Some of the programs at SAIT involve students participating in a co-op or internship work placement. For an international student to participate in a co-op or internship, the work must form an integral part of their studies and the student must obtain a Co-Op Work Permit prior to commencing the work placement.

In order to apply, you must first obtain a letter from the International Centre to confirm that you are eligible to apply for a Co-Op Work Permit.

A Co-Op Work Permit is not valid for any other off-campus work.

Visit the CIC's website for further information about a Co-Op Work Permit.

Working after Graduation

Upon graduation from a program at SAIT that was a minimum of eight months in length, international students are eligible to apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit. This work permit is an open work permit allowing graduates to work for any employer.

An application must be submitted within 90 days of completing your program and you must have a valid Study Permit when you apply. You will also need to submit proof of your graduation with the application. You can request a letter from the International Centre to confirm this.If you hold a valid Off-Campus Work Permit at the time of your graduation, you will be eligible to begin working full-time whilst waiting for a decision on your application for a Post-Graduation Work Permit. If you do not have a valid Off-Campus Work Permit at the time of your graduation, you must wait until the Post-Graduation Work Permit has been issued before you can begin employment.

Visit the CIC's website for further information about a Post-Graduation Work Permit.

Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program

If you are considering living and working in Alberta permanently after you graduate, the Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program (AINP) can help you, your spouse/common-law partner and dependant children fast-track your application for permanent residence.

Obtaining your permanent residence status through the AINP takes an average six to 18 months. The AINP is generally faster than immigration classes, including the Federal Skilled Worker Class through Citizen and Immigration Canada (CIC).
For more information please visit the AINP website or contact an International student advisor.

International Student Resources

This section will provide you with helpful information and website links.

Individual Tax Number (ITN) and Social Insurance Number (SIN)

You will need to have a Social Insurance Number (SIN) to complete your tax forms. If you do not have a SIN number, you will be issued an "Individual Tax Number (ITN)" by the Canadian Customs and Revenue Agency which can ONLY be used for the purposes of completing your tax forms (you cannot work with the ITN). You can obtain this number by completing the form "Application for a Canada Revenue Agency Individual Tax Number" (Form T1261) which you can get by downloading it from the Canadian Customs and Revenue Agency website.

About the International Centre

The International Centre assists international students in their new environment at SAIT and in Canada. In addition to student services available at SAIT, the following additional services are provided for international students:

  • Admissions assistance
  • Academic advising
  • Airport pick-up
  • Assistance with Study/Work Permits and Temporary Resident Visas
  • Cultural counselling
  • Housing options, including 2 residences at SAIT
  • Home Stay with a Canadian family
  • Information on Health Insurance
  • International student room (MB 201, Heart Building) with access to phone
  • International Orientation
  • Pre-departure information
  • International student intramural sports
  • Social, cultural and recreational events
  • Volunteer opportunities

Contact Us

International Centre
MA206, Heritage Hall (map)
1301 - 16 Avenue NW
Calgary, Alberta T2M 0L4 Canada

Phone: 1.403.284.8852
Fax: 1.403.284.7386

Hours of operation:

Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday: 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
Wednesday: 9:00 am - 4:30 pm