Information navigation is a high-tech adventure and a sought-after skill. Industry needs technicians who can quickly find answers to questions asked by everyone, from students to CEOs. Students can complete the diploma through distance education courses. Please note: you must meet the entrance requirements listed for the diploma program and complete all mandatory courses plus three electives.
For those individuals who are looking at upgrading their skills, courses can be taken individually, as required, without going through the application process. For those interested in getting the diploma, please see the admission requirements below.
Alberta High School Diploma or equivalent with at least 60% in the following admission requirements or equivalents:
- English Language Arts 30-1 or English Language Arts 30-2 or equivalents, AND,
- Two of the following Grade 12 subjects: Math, Science, Social Science, Accounting, Law or a second language.
- For mature students, LIBR-200 (Introduction to Libraries) may be substituted for the third Grade 12 subject.
- All applicants must demonstrate English Language Proficiency prior to admission, including students educated in Canada.
- Do you require Academic Upgrading or admission testing?
- Are you an International student?
- Did you complete high school courses in another province?
- Are you a transfer student?
- Do you require English language upgrading to meet the proficiency requirement?
To complete the diploma, students must take all the required courses plus 3 electives.
Careers: Librarian | Library Technician | Technical Support Analyst
|COURSE NAME||COURSE CODE||OFFERED|
|Introduction to Libraries||LIBR-200||Online|
|Computer Fundamentals||COMP-220||Classroom or Online|
|Bibliographic Description and Access I||LIBR-202||Online|
|Communication and Presentation Skills||COMN-220||Classroom or Online|
|Library Information Services I||LIBR-235||Online|
|Integrated Library Technology||LIBR-251||Online|
|Library Information Services II||LIBR-335||Online|
|Bibliographic Description and Access II||LIBR-252||Online|
|Communicating in the Workplace||COMM-352||Classroom or Online|
|Fundamentals of Information and Records Management||MGMT-244||Classroom or Online|
|Library Marketing||MKTG-360||Classroom or Online|
|Online Database Searching||DATA-375||Online|
|Library Technology Customer Service||LIBR-305||Online|
|Design Web Tools for Libraries||LIBR-320||Online|
|Bibliographic Description and Access III||LIBR-302||Online|
|Managing Digital Content||LIBR-323||Online|
|Advanced Information and Records Management||MGMT-246||Classroom or Online|
|Information Management Administration||MMGT-350||Classroom or Online|
|Services for Children & Young Adults||LIBR-315||Online|
|Collection Development for Adults||LIBR-260||Online|
|Library & Information Technology Project I||LIBR-349||Online|
|Library & Information Technology Project II||LIBR-399||Online|