Explore the key areas of project management including human resources, communications, cost, quality control, procurement and risk management. You can apply the program's required courses towards a Project Management Professional (PMP®) credential or the Gold Seal of the Canadian Construction Association. You need a minimum of 144 hours and three electives to earn the certificate of achievement.
SAIT is a Global Registered Educational Provider of project management training approved by PMI®. Our program is delivered in a flexible way to meet the needs of today's busy professionals.
We take a practical approach using real-world case studies to hone your skills in overseeing complex projects. You will learn how to address key areas of project management, including human resources, communication, time integration, cost, quality and risk procurement.
"SAIT's curriculum is strong, it's kept up to date and it's also aligned with the Project Management Body of Knowledge."
Dean Sheppard, Instructor
This program starts with a basic introduction of the fundamental principles of project management, and teaches you the skills and knowledge required to successfully take a project from concept to completion. You will master Microsoft Project - a software application designed to assist project managers in developing plans, assigning resources, tracking progress, managing budgets and analyzing workloads.
High Quality Instruction from Industry Leaders
Instructors in this program keenly understand the growing complexities of business environments. Our full-time faculty and professionals combine academic excellence with industry experience.
"[Our] vision is to deliver the safest and highest value projects. We think this program helps by building that inherent capability and skill set within our project leaders."
Dries Brand, Director, PM Services, Suncor Energy
- We find there is a direct correlation between the time and energy invested to the amount of success achieved.
- Remaining focused and diligent with coursework is important for success in completing the program.
- You must be able to read, write, and understand the English language at a level exceeding basic conversational English.
Laddering and Transferability
We want you to succeed in your career as a project manager. These courses will help prepare you for professional certifications from PMI® including the Project Management Professional (PMP®) and the Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM®). Learn more about certifications from PMI®.
Project managers are in demand in a variety of sectors - managing projects in health care, telecommunications, oil and gas, construction and more.
Admission and Completion
It's a simple process to get started. There are no entrance requirements for this program and you can register for courses anytime by clicking on a course name in the table at the end of this page. Be sure to have your SAIT student ID number. Need to get your ID number? Call the Office of the Registrar at 1.877.284.7248.
Once you have registered for at least one course, fill out the Program Declaration form and submit it to the Office of the Registrar.
Our courses meet the requirements of PMI and follow their outlines for certification. A combination of classroom and online learning options, plus flexible scheduling allows you to complete the course on a timetable that suits you. Students should be comfortable with computers, Windows operating system, and Microsoft® Office Excel 2010 or 2013.
You may take up to five years to complete the program.
Project Management Course Selection
Our project management courses are available through our Corporate Training department in 1-5 day seminars, as well as Distance Education (online). Numerous start dates are available and continually added throughout the year.
Online registration closes about one week before the course start date. You can register up to one business day before the start date by calling 403.284.7248 or 1.877.284.7248. Courses do fill up, so it is recommended you register early.
We recommend you take courses in the order presented, although it is not mandatory.
|COURSE NAME||COURSE CODE||OFFERED|
|Project Management and Microsoft Project||BCPT-239||Classroom|
|Project Level 1*||BCPT-174||Classroom|
|Project Level 2*||BCPT-175||Classroom|
|Project Management Basics||PROJ-150||Classroom or Online|
|Project Risk Management||RSMG-102||Classroom or Online|
|Project Initiation||PROJ-215||Classroom or Online|
|Project Planning I||PROJ-213||Classroom or Online|
|Project Planning 2||PROJ-233||Classroom or Online|
|Project Execution||PROJ-217||Classroom or Online|
|Project Control and Closing||PROJ-219||Classroom or Online|
|Electives: 3 minimum. A combination of more than 3 electives may be needed to meet this 144 hour requirement. Choose from the following:
|Agile in Practice||MGMT-296||Classroom|
|Software Development Methodologies||CMPS-140||Classroom|
|PMP® Exam Preparation||PROJ-120||Classroom|
|And any of the SAIT Applied Management Certificate program courses.
* Distance Education students may complete BCMP-180 Microsoft® Project Levels 1 and 2 in place of BCPT-174 and BCPT-175.
Upcoming program changes
- PMI is currently updating the PMBOK Guide® to the Sixth Edition with a rollout during the fall of 2017. SAIT will begin using the PMBOK Sixth Edition in our courses in January 2018.
- The PMP exam is also being updated to reflect the Sixth Edition. This new exam is expected to be implemented at some point during the first quarter of 2018. Please see the PMI website for further details. Anyone taking the exam prior to the first quarter change will receive the current version of the exam that references the PMBOK Guide® - Fifth Edition.
- Students will continue to receive a copy of the PMBOK Guide in PROJ-150 and BCPT-239 classroom-based courses. Students who have already received a PMBOK Fifth Edition in PROJ-150 or BCPT-239 will need to purchase the PMBOK Sixth Edition for their remaining courses.
- School of Business Corporate Training
- Distance Education Support Services