Registration for apprenticeship technical training in 2014/15 is now open. Find out more!
Take your first steps towards a challenging and rewarding career by becoming a qualified trades person (Journeyperson).
In Alberta, trades people learn their skills through a combination of working in the industry as an Apprentice under the supervision of a qualified Journeyperson, and through technical training at SAIT.
To become a Journeyperson you must first find an employer willing to take you on as an apprentice. Secondly, you must register with Alberta Apprentice and Industry Training and then work a set number of hours.You will also be required to take technical training and pass a series of exams. At the end of your apprenticeship you will write your Alberta Journeyperson Certificate exam to become a certified Journeyperson.
SAIT offers training in over 30 registered trades.
- Agricultural Equipment Technician
- Appliance Service Technician
- Auto Body Technician
- Automotive Service Technician (Blended Learning option available)
- Carpenter (Blended Learning option available)
- Concrete Finisher
- Crane and Hoisting Equipment Operator - Boom Truck
- Crane and Hoisting Equipment Operator - Mobile Crane
- Electric Motor Systems Technician
- Electrician (Blended Learning option available)
- Heavy Equipment Technician
- Instrument Technician
- Insulator Apprentice
- Materials Technician
- Natural Gas Compression Technician
- Painter and Decorator
- Parts Technician
- Plumber (Blended Learning option available)
- Recreation Vehicle Service Technician
- Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Mechanic
- Rig Technician
- Sheet Metal Worker
- Transport Refrigeration Technician
- Welder (Blended Learning option available)
Registration for apprenticeship technical training in 2014-2015 is now open. Visit the Technical Training Centre to access the class calendar.
For more detailed information about getting started in a trade, please visit Alberta Apprenticeship and Industry Training or phone 403.297.6457.
To learn about transfer options that may be available for you after you finish your apprenticeship and have work experience, visit Transfer Options.
Online Apprenticeship Learning
SAIT Polytechnic’s Blended Learning programs allow automotive service, carpentry, welding, electrical and plumbing apprentices to complete their theoretical training online before coming to SAIT’s state-of-the-art labs and shops to perform the hands-on portion of their training.
Learn more about online apprenticeship training >>
Alberta Apprenticeship and Industry Training regional offices
- Bonnyville 780.826.4175
- Calgary 403.297.6457
- Camrose 780.679.1275
- Edmonton 780.427.8517
- Fort McMurray 780.743.7150
- Hinton 780.865.8293
- Lethbridge 403.381.5380
- Medicine Hat 403.529.3580
- Pincher Creek 403.627.1125
- Vermilion 780.853.8150
Apprenticeships and Trades
- Welcome to SAIT Polytechnic
- Financial Information
- To Excel at SAIT
- Your First Day
- Top Five
- Apprenticeship Record Book
- Telephone Numbers
- Apprenticeship Attendance and Procedures
- Academic Regulations
- Student Records
- Learning and Support Services
- Alumni and Development
- Convocation Ceremonies
- Apprenticeship Transfer Options
- Apprentice Success Services
- Apprenticeship Blended Learning Option
- Important Dates
- The Apprentice System of Training
- Room MA211, Heritage Hall
1301 - 16 Ave NW
Calgary, Alberta T2M 0L4
Toll free: 1.877.284.7248