Day of Convocation
When to arrive
Arrive at the North entrance of the Southern Alberta Jubilee Auditorium one hour prior to convocation.
- Morning Ceremonies: Gowns will be available for pick up at 7:30 am. Graduands need to be fully gowned and in line at 8:15 am.
- Afternoon Ceremonies: Gowns will be available for pick up at 11:30 am. Graduands need to be fully gowned and in line at 12:15 pm.
*Each ceremony will be approximately 2 to 2.5 hours in length
If you are registered, but did not pick up your guest tickets prior, you can do so on the day of Convocation. Your tickets will be available for pick up at the information booth, located on the main floor of the Southern Alberta Jubilee Auditorium. All guests, including infants, require a ticket.
Note: Once you are gowned you will not be able to leave the processional line to obtain tickets to give to your guests.
- Guest should proceed directly to the Auditorium and are not permitted in the gowning area.
- Your guests will need to be seated about 20 to 30 minutes prior to the start of your ceremony.
- If your guests require special considerations for seating and you did not indicate this when you registered, please contact us at email@example.com and we will make the necessary arrangements.
- Parking is available at the Southern Alberta Jubilee Auditorium and at SAIT Polytechnic.
- Out of respect to your fellow graduates, please ask your guests to remain seated in the auditorium until the ceremony has fully completed.
- All phones and handheld devices should be turned to silent during the ceremony.
- Pick up your graduation gown in the Ambrosia Room (V230), Campus Centre.
- The gowning area will be open one hour prior to the ceremony and will close one hour after the ceremony. Please return your gown prior to 4 pm, or you will be charged $100.
- Only graduands are permitted in this area.
SAIT Convocation Card
You will be handed a SAIT Convocation Card at the gowning area. Print your first and last name on the card in the way you wish to be announced. You must have your card complete before you cross the stage.
- You will be directed to meet in the ACAD hallway off of the main foyer of the Jubilee, fully gowned, at 8:15 am for the morning ceremony and 12:15 pm for the afternoon ceremony.
- Proceed to the appropriate program sign where marshals in red gowns will help you line-up in alphabetical order. Once you are in line, please remain in alphabetical order until the ceremony has finished.
Walking Across the Stage:
- Once it is time to start the presentation of the graduands, follow the marshal's instructions. Please stay in order.
- When asked to do so, please step forward between the stage curtains, walk to the announcer at the microphone and present your SAIT Convocation Card. Wait there until your full name has been announced; then walk as directed to the middle of the stage where you will be congratulated by the SAIT President and CEO, the Board of Governors Chair, your Academic Dean, and your Academic Chair.
- A professional photographer will take a picture of you with the President and CEO. These 5 x 7 photos are a complimentary gift to the grads. To order the photos, please see Convocation Photos below. Note that your image will be displayed on a large screen as you cross the stage, and will be broadcast live via the web.
- Walk to the right side of the stage platform and descend the steps, where you will be welcomed as a new Alumnus of SAIT. Return to your seat as guided by an alumni usher. Out of respect for your peers, we ask that you please remain seated until the ceremony has fully completed. There will be a recessional of the graduates and the platform party at the end of the ceremony.
- The gowning area will be closed until after the ceremony has finished. You will not be able to return your gown until it reopens.
You will receive your credential before you cross the stage.
Credentials not picked up at the ceremony will be mailed out the week after Convocation.
The Alumni Relations team is pleased to give you a gift, a FREE photo of you in cap-and-gown as you cross the stage and shake hands with the SAIT President and CEO.
A photographer will also be available at the Jubilee Auditorium for individual and family portraits on a first-come, first-served basis.
Check out the Photos and Portraits page for more information.
A copy of the Convocation book is given to all attendees of the ceremony. Extra copies of the Convocation book are available at Student Services for one month after the ceremony, or while supplies last.
Congratulations on your accomplishment. Should you have any questions or concerns about the ceremony procedures, please do not hesitate to contact the Convocation Steering Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- SAIT Polytechnic